Helpful
Replies

BGP redistribution

aconticisco
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

Pls see attached. 

Would like to have the ISP3 networks reachable via both paths whilst GW1 and GW2 run an IGP.

Have setup OSPF between GW1 and GW2 and redistributed BGP AS65000 but still showing networks as available only via one path.

Do I still need to specify BGP neighborship between AS65000 routers?

Example taken from: Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide: (CCNP ROUTE 300-101) - Chapter 7

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

More than likely, only the "best" path has been installed into the routing table, and everything is working correct.

If it was me I would use iBGP between the routers rather than redistribute into OSPF.

but shouldn't show ip bgp show all possible bgp routes and then only the best one inserting in the routing table?

as I understand OSPF can be used to connect GW1 and GW2 loopback addresses and then create a bgp connection on top of it for instance between Loopback 0 interfaces. This would result in internal BGP for AS 65000 routers. 

Do I still need to redistribute BGP into OSPF ?

"show ip bgp" will show all routes learned via BGP, but if you are doing OSPF redistribution back into BGP then I don't think it will install the route if there is one there already.

I wouldn't bother redistributing BGP into OSPF.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card