Replies

BGP STUCK BUT NEIGBOUR IS UP

daniel81092
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Two router are connected CE TO PE

i can see neighbour IN PE OF CE but BGP session between them are still active

NOTE:- between CE and PE we  have carrier link and all the test from carrier are good and clean

any possibility of correctness

10 Replies 10

Hello,

post the running configs of both routers, as well as the output of:

sh ip bgp neighbor

BGP are active state 

configration are basic BGP

for vitrual interface

encapu do1q

vrf forwar

ip address

same both for PE and CE

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Do you have basic layer-3 connectivity? Can the CE ping PE and vice versa?

HTH

No i am not able to reach CE to PE and VV via ping but i can see in CDP neighbour in PE that CE is available''

only BGP  is active

So, before you get to BGP, you need to establish layer-3 connectivity between the 2 devices first. Do both sides have IPs?

Can you post the config? Is the interface in up and up mode?

HTH

interface are up and even in cdp neigbour i can see both CE to PE and PE to CE

cdp neigbour is just layer-2 and does not mean BGP will work because you see the neighbor. The first thing you need to figure out is why you are not able to ping the peer IP address. Layer-3 connectivity must be established first.

HTH

layer 3 are up as i checked the route with show ip route i get the route for directy connected via TE inteface

a

Hello

@daniel81092 wrote:

NOTE:- between CE and PE we  have carrier link and all the test from carrier are good and clean

any possibility of correctness

If you are using default route for the ebgp peering then it wont come up, As rtr will perform a route lookup and if it only has a default route for peering it will ignore it, even though it can peer that potential peer..

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card