Views
Helpful
Replies

big number of received errors on switch interface

hanyawad
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

i've been monitoring my client's switched network for the last few days and i found huge number of errors everyday on couple of interfaces. i attached a snapshot file showing it. could anyone tell me the potentials causing this big number of errors.

and also i found in another evetns report the interface of FA4/40 (has errors also in this attached file) up down status almost all the day.

Note: i'm doing this monitoring for new client who was facing browsing brownout for few minutes in random timings.

i appreciate your useful potentials regarding these symptoms.

regards,

Labib

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Doesn't give me alot of information.

Can you post the output to the command "sh interface "?

What is connected to the far end?

Also post the output to the command "sh module".

Hi Leolaohoo,

thanks for your reply. attached is the show commands for three interfaces i noticed big numbers of errors. Gi/3/11 and Gi3/14 connected to fiber cable but fa4/40 to rj45.

all of them in vlan1. i'm suspecting the probably reason for errors on Gi3/11 and Gi3/14 the fiber cable should be cleaned or replaced. but what about Fa4/40.

and is the huge number of these errors on these interfaces causing a brownout in the network?!. i'm confused a little bit.

regards,

Labib

fa4/40 shows CRC errors, so first check would be to ensure that the directly connected device isn't set to half-duplex. I would have expected to see a Late Collision instead of this, but worth checking this out first of all. Might be excessive noise as there are no collisions.

A couple of ports have traffic in one direction only - is that what you'd expext to see?

Your have plenty of output drops too. How long has the device been up? The show ver command will display the uptime.

most of the switches have been up for 43 days. these ports connected to desktop coputers or servers ( but i don't know yet what kind of applications installed on them.

attached is the top interfaces with errors for yesterday. the cause of these errors might be DHCP snooping or kind of broadcasting? because i checked the utilization it looks normal most of the times. thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

regards,

Labib

One of the reasons why you're getting CRC errors is due to duplex setting is "forced".

Besides, CRC is not the one I'm worried about.  It's the output drops.  What exactly is connected to this port?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card