Views
Helpful
Replies

Blocking VLAN from propogating

Josh Young
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I created a VLAN that will be used for a very limited audience (meaning very few users).  I have a Core switch that is used for routing with several other switches used at the Edge layer around the campus.  Because the users of that VLAN will be in one specific location, I want that VLAN to only go to one switch and not the others around the campus.  The core switch is used as the VTP server and is currently broadcasting the VLAN to all of the switches.  But, I would like to prevent the VLAN from even broadcasting to the other switches.  Is there a way to do this where it only goes to the one switch?  Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If you want that one vlan not to propagate anywhere else but on that one switch and its uplinks, than make sure to delete this vlan from all the other switches uplinks. So, only one access switch will have this vlan and its uplinks.

on the switches you don't want that vlan you can use this command to remove it

switchport trunk allowed vlan remove x

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If you want that one vlan not to propagate anywhere else but on that one switch and its uplinks, than make sure to delete this vlan from all the other switches uplinks. So, only one access switch will have this vlan and its uplinks.

on the switches you don't want that vlan you can use this command to remove it

switchport trunk allowed vlan remove x

HTH

That seems to do the trick.  Thank you very much for your help.

Glad to help Josh

Thanks for the rating and marking the post as answered.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card