cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bonding Two interfaces on Two 2940 switches

jsocolosski
Level 1
Level 1

I want to learn how to do this the proper or standard way so any help is appreciated. I have two switches (sanitized configs attached) and I am trying to bond int gi0/1 and gi0/2 between the two.

Then I need int gi0/3 back to the main LAN switches.

These are new Vlans created 982 and 983 for these switches.

Question #1: do the configurations look correct? I haven't placed any laptops on the interfaces to test interconnectivity yet but I am wondering if it will work with no default routes.

The admin team needs these switches at location A for setup then they will be moved to Location B.

The only thing that sucks for me is that the network admin before me created gateway interfaces for all the local Vlans on a main router as sub interfaces.

For example, for these two subnets, I need to create subinterfaces below (at location A), which is why a gave the Vlan on the switches, ip addresses.

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.982

encapsulation dot1Q 982

ip address 10.98.2.1 255.255.255.0

ip flow ingress

no cdp enable

service-policy input mark-mplsqos-in

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.983

encapsulation dot1Q 983

ip address 10.98.3.1 255.255.255.0

ip flow ingress

no cdp enable

service-policy input mark-mplsqos-in

When I move the subnet to location B, I will also move the gateway.

Please point out anything that doesn't look right.

These two switches will be used mainly for a VMWare and HyperVisor environment so Vlan 982 is for VMA network and Vlan 983 is for management. The admin tells me the software needs to tag the packets, I am not sure if I care as the switches should handle that also.

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A 2940 is a layer 2 switch so no routing can take place on the switch. All routing has to be on an external router or l3 switch.  The only reason for these switches to have any address on them is to manage the switch . So any routing will have to be external and you would need a trunk between the 2940 and the  router to do any routing.  So on either switch you should not have more than a single address to manage the switch . It will probably only allow one SVI to be up at a time anyway. So for external trunking it should be like this on the link .  Not sure you can even do subinterfaces on the 2940's.  If vlan 983 is the management vlan , that is the only layer 3 interface that should be defined delete  "int vlan 982"  , thats doing nothing.  Thats also why the previous admin put the gateways on a router , that's the only way you are going to route between separate vlans on these switches.

int x/x

switchport trunk encap dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 983,984

switchport mode trunk

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card