Views
Helpful
Replies

Boot variable on 6500 does not retain after a reload

gautamzone
Level 1
Level 1

Dear friends,

I have noticed something strange while doing upgrades on 6500 with Sup 720.

I have been ignoring it because it is not really an issue but seeing repeated occurences has triggered

me to post this question.

When i set the boot variable to the new image and reload, the switch (both active and standby supervisor) reloads with the new image but

the boot variable suddenly points to the old image again!!  The boot order in the sh run shows clearly that the first image is the new image and old image is the backup image. Again, when i do a wr mem, the sh boot variable now shows the right image. Why do i have to do a wr mem to save the boot variable

when i have done already a wr mem before the image upgrade to update the boot variable?

Anybody has an idea to whats going on to cause the boot variable to lose its value after reboot?

Thanks a lot

Gautam                   

1 Reply 1

Shashank Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Gautam,

If you are running an older version of rommon software, you may need to upgrade it to 12.2(17r)SX6 or later. Please check the following:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsv03353

Cheers,

Shashank

Please rate if you found the content useful

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card