Views
Helpful
Replies

BPDUguard and portfast on Cisco packet tracer causes network to collapse

alfista16
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am having a common triangle 3-switch topology (2960) eligible to loop, as in the attached image.

My first config includes switchport mode access for all involved ports and spanning-tree portfast default. When the top switch is connected and the loop "closes", despite the portfast command, STP takes action and blocks F0/2 from the bottom Switch2. This is expected, according to this article ( https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/blogs/vip-perspectives/2016/03/10/advanced-stp-features-portfast-bpdu-guard-and-bpdu-filter ) since portfast does not disable STP, it just forces an access port to enter to the FWD state instantly. Even with portfast, if a BPDU is detected, the port is set to BLK state.

Here comes the interesting part:

While in Cisco Packet tracer, when i enable bpduguard on all involved ports (conf t - - > interface range f0/1-3 - - > spanning-tree bpduguard enable) and then connect the top switch to the loop, the network literally collapses. All three switches consider themselves as STP root bridges, the ports are coloured dark green and PC0 can never ping PC1. Even more, all ports on all switches are showing to be in FWD state, while the sh int f0/1-2-3 command shows all interfaces as up-up!

Again, all ports are access ports, just configured them like that for testing purposes, to see what happens if i connect a switch to an access port with portfast and bpduguard.

My question:

Is this a Cisco Packet tracer bug or a real life scenario?

Thank you in advance,

George

stp.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

in GNS3 (which is considered pretty much the same as a real network), an access port with portfast and bpduguard enabled gets put in err-disable state. So it definitely looks like a 'bug' in Packet Tracer. That said, Packet Tracer doesn't run a real IOS, but rather a set of predefined commands with predefined results. I don't find it very useful for testing...

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello,

post the Packet Tracer project file (save as .pkt and rename to .jpg before posting, otherwise the system will not let you upload the file)...

Please find attached an image of the setup (image_bpdugrd.png) and the actual packet tracer file, which is renamed to STP.jpeg, so that the system allows me to upload it. Just rename "STP.jpg" to STP.pkt" and open it in Cisco Packet tracer. The setup on the left blocks one port, while the setup on the right (including bpduguard) creates a broadcast storm. I tested on real equipment and this is not what happens.

It is certainly a CPT bug.

Hello,

in GNS3 (which is considered pretty much the same as a real network), an access port with portfast and bpduguard enabled gets put in err-disable state. So it definitely looks like a 'bug' in Packet Tracer. That said, Packet Tracer doesn't run a real IOS, but rather a set of predefined commands with predefined results. I don't find it very useful for testing...

Thank you very much for confirming Georg.

By the way, how do you test switches in GNS3?

As far as I am aware, it only supports routers.

I assume you use the bridge command in some router?

Or maybe a router supporting switchport command?

Sorry for the silly question, I am kind of new at this whole thing.

Hello,

I am using the IOSv images for GNS3 (which come from Cisco VIRL, I am not sure they are available elsewhere). On GNS3 Marketplace I think you can download appliances for IOU L2 as well...

https://gns3.com/marketplace/appliances

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card