Views
Helpful
Replies

Broadcast Address

Sulaiman Ejaz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

as we know in a network domain, first IP address represent network id whereas last IP address is used for broadcast, my question is how can I done it practically in packet tracer or gns3, how can I use last address as broadcast?

regards,

Sulaiman Ejaz

4 Replies 4

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm not sure I understand the question fully, but I'm going to give it a shot. You can ping the broadcast address, and any host on that subnet should respond.

If you have 192.168.1.0/24 as the network,  and you have hosts 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.10 as hosts, you can ping 192.168.1.255. This should put hosts 192.168.1.1 - 10 in the arp table.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Dear Sir,

We have been set one of the device Ip address is 192.168.0.255 , and then we have tried to communicate with the system , but could not done . could you please advice us that how to communicate with the that ip and how we can reset the ip .

When we type  ip address in the browser , it shows invalid ip address.

Thanking you  

Anil Prasad 

Anil

Configuring the device with address 192.168.0.255 was not a good choice. Perhaps a different browser or perhaps a terminal emulator like putty might allow you to access the device. Or perhaps a PC with a different operating system might allow you to access the device. If that does not work then you need to access the device by its console port and change the configuration to give it an IP that is not a broadcast address.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sulaiman,

I would go with John and my explanation would also had remained the same.

Per your request I have generated the sample on GNS3. Please find the details below:

SW1#  ping 192.168.0.255

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.0.255, timeout is 2 seconds:

Reply to request 2 from 192.168.0.3, 2 ms

Reply to request 2 from 192.168.0.4, 2 ms

Reply to request 2 from 192.168.0.5, 24 ms

Were as 3,4,5 are the ip address of end hosts. { same result would achieve if you ping the 255.255.255.255- all the system who are active will respond)

HTH

Regards

Inayath

***********Please rate if this info is helpfull******************

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: