cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Broadcast domains

ricpe92ricpe
Level 1
Level 1

How many broadcast domains has in this picture?

Thanks in advance.

2.b.JPG

3 Replies 3

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Count the number of LANs. A LAN 'cloud' in this diagram is one broadcast domain each. So there are 5 of them.

Characteristics of a Broadcast Domain

- layer 2 of the OSI model

- a switch creates an entire broadcast domain (provided that there's only one VLAN) since broadcasts are a layer 2 concept (mac address related)

- routers don't forward layer 2 broadcasts under normal circumstances, hence they separate broadcast domains

In your diagram it's clearly labeled LAN1, LAN2 etc... So from that we can safely assume they are one VLAN per cloud respectively. Hence giving us 5 broadcast domains.

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hi Bilal,

Every router interface is a broadcast domain as routers don't forward broadcasts so I tend to disagree with your answer, I counted 11.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Edited: Yes sorry, you're correct Alain, I meant 11 not 5.

"- routers don't forward layer 2 broadcasts under normal circumstances, hence they separate broadcast domains"
In addition, every piece of wire [SEGMENT] that is between them is a broadcast domain.

One of the troubles with the mobile App, don't get to see the picture at all, so it's all from memory from what I saw early this morning :-)

Thank you for correcting me.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card