cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Building First Network

kevkalu
Level 1
Level 1

Transitioning from NetSim Lite, and I'm stuck trying to create my first network.

PC's cannot Ping to any device on the network. I've tried setting up IP addresses and DHCP, but PCs tell me DHCP requests fail. 

The switches have MAC addresses but simulation shows all messages fail to cross the network. 

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? A point in the right direction would really help.

Thank you. 

pass: ccna

R3#show ip route

Codes: L - local, C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP

D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area

N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2

E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2, E - EGP

i - IS-IS, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2, ia - IS-IS inter area

* - candidate default, U - per-user static route, o - ODR

P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is not set

192.168.1.0/24 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks

C 192.168.1.0/24 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/0/1

L 192.168.1.1/32 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/0/1

192.168.2.0/24 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks

C 192.168.2.0/24 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/0/0

L 192.168.2.1/32 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/0/0

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Find attached a working file.

I had to change a little bit on the addressing as it had some inconsistency. But, I hope you get the idea.

I used RIP for dynamic routing. If you are not familiar with dynamic routing yet, you can also use static routing.

RIP is pretty simple, as you can see on the routers.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

View solution in original post

"I was trying to have the Routers assign IP addresses to hosts using DHCP"

But it is.  However, the network add on the DHCP scope must match the Router´s interface.  The default-router on the DHCP scope is the Router´s IP address.

"I was expecting 192.168.2.2 or 192.168.1.2 but the output told me that the GigabitEthernet was already using it."

The router does not accept the same network in two interfaces. Each interface must have a different network. So, you can use 192.168.1.0/24 for lan interface and 192.168.2.0/24 to speak with another router.

"2. There was some issue with the switch forwarding information it seemed. I just built a network using another Packet Lab and they had me establish a VLAN with an IP address. Was this also needed?"

It depends. If you have more than one vlan on the switch and boths have IP address, then you need to use the Router to perform "inter vlan routing". For that, you use subinterface on the routers and encapsulation dot1q.

The switch interface that connect to the router must be in trunk mode.

"3. I thought by assigning IP Addresses, routers would learn to route from each other's tables?"

Only directed connected network. Remote network only through dynamic ou static routing.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi

Find attached a working file.

I had to change a little bit on the addressing as it had some inconsistency. But, I hope you get the idea.

I used RIP for dynamic routing. If you are not familiar with dynamic routing yet, you can also use static routing.

RIP is pretty simple, as you can see on the routers.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you, Flavio for your help.

Would you please inform me of what you did to make it work? 

It looks like IP addressing/subnetting was my main issue?

Is this correct?

Yeah, there was some issue. But, on the routers, you also need to add routing. In your scneario, you could easily use static routes but as you can see, dynamic routing with RIP is as simples as static.

Keep in mind that if you have a topology like this:

NetworkX-----Router01----------Router02-------Router03------NetworkY

Router02, on this topology, does not know about the NetowkrX on Router01 or NetworkY on Router03. It only knows about the direct connected interface. So, you need to tell him, by using static or dynamic routing, where those routes are.

So a few things:

1. I was trying to have the Routers assign IP addresses to hosts using DHCP. I was expecting 192.168.2.2 or 192.168.1.2 but the output told me that the GigabitEthernet was already using it.

2. There was some issue with the switch forwarding information it seemed. I just built a network using another Packet Lab and they had me establish a VLAN with an IP address. Was this also needed?

3. I thought by assigning IP Addresses, routers would learn to route from each other's tables?

Again, thank you for your time. 

"I was trying to have the Routers assign IP addresses to hosts using DHCP"

But it is.  However, the network add on the DHCP scope must match the Router´s interface.  The default-router on the DHCP scope is the Router´s IP address.

"I was expecting 192.168.2.2 or 192.168.1.2 but the output told me that the GigabitEthernet was already using it."

The router does not accept the same network in two interfaces. Each interface must have a different network. So, you can use 192.168.1.0/24 for lan interface and 192.168.2.0/24 to speak with another router.

"2. There was some issue with the switch forwarding information it seemed. I just built a network using another Packet Lab and they had me establish a VLAN with an IP address. Was this also needed?"

It depends. If you have more than one vlan on the switch and boths have IP address, then you need to use the Router to perform "inter vlan routing". For that, you use subinterface on the routers and encapsulation dot1q.

The switch interface that connect to the router must be in trunk mode.

"3. I thought by assigning IP Addresses, routers would learn to route from each other's tables?"

Only directed connected network. Remote network only through dynamic ou static routing.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card