cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bypass Enable Password sm-x-es3-24-p

BurtMan900
Level 1
Level 1

I have a sm-x-es3-24-p switch module in a ISR4331 router and after uploading a config to the switch module it seems that there was an error in the enable password. I can log into the switch module, but when I try to login to the EXEC mode the password fails. I tried the password recover process here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/interfaces/eesm/software/configuration/guide/ISRG2_config.html#pgfId-1000324

But that didn't get me anywhere. I was trying to see if there is a way to get into ROMMON mode on the switch module so I can change the register to have the switch module ignore the startup-config when it boots. I have already tried to send a *break* to the switch module through a console connection.

Is there a way of doing this? I haven't found much on the cisco site or web about this.

Sincerely,

BurtMan

2 Replies 2

Chris Gill
Level 1
Level 1
I have an SM-X in a boot loop and I too cannot find any instructions to interrupt the boot. I just says try loading a newer image and reboots to the old.

Chris Gill
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to get my switch to go into Rommon and get out of the Booting Loop.  From the router I tried a few commands:  hw-module subslot 1/0 error-recovery password_reset to set a new enable password. ( I had also tried hw-module subslot 1/0 maintenance enable).  At some point it booted up to a switch: prompt instead of trying to load the config.   From here I was able to force it to boot to the good IOS and perform normal recovery operations.

Once done all I needed to do was do a hw-module subslot 1/0 reload  command from the router and the switch was back to default config.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card