Views
Helpful
Replies

c2900 - original image anyone know ?

WAYNE MOORE
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

sorry for the petty question, I just picked up a c2900 and I booted it up and it seems that the last person that owned it tried upgrading it and didnt realize that it only has 1720K flash... my problem is that I only found 2 images that I can put on them and they are both 1700K.. I checked all the way back to 11.1 IOS for an image that will fit to no avail, anyone have any ideas?

Directory of flash:/

2 -rwx 19 <date> env_vars

1726464 bytes available (1536 bytes used)

switch:

thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The last update for a 4 meg box was 11.2.86.SA12 I believe . unfortunetly they appear to have taken the code for this ancient switch off CCO so it may not be available any more . The 8 meg 2924 image will not fit or work with the old 4 meg box . they used to have a ftp site where you could get some of the old images but that appears to defunct also.

Edit: Ok I found it , go here to get the old 4 meg , its not the last version they did but it should get it working.

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/lan/catalyst/2900XL/4MB/

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's very strange, can we see a show version ?

Hi Edison, there is no image on it now. When I turned it on and hooked up the console cable there was a partial image loaded, it looked like someone erased it and tried to reload a newer version on. so I erased it and tried to load the smallest version I could find on it and it wasnt small enough... here is the boot screen..

thanks

Wayne

C2900XL Boot Loader (C2900-HBOOT-M) Version 11.2(8)SA3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Compiled Fri 11-Sep-98 17:00 by rheaton

starting...

Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:50:e2:c8:4b:c0

Xmodem file system is available.

Initializing Flash...

flashfs[0]: 1 files, 1 directories

flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories

flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 1728000

flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 1536

flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 1726464

flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 1 seconds.

...done Initializing Flash.

The system is unable to boot automatically because there

are no bootable files to boot.

switch:

Hmm, well actually just found it on ebay in the desription of someone who is selling one...

but i also appears that he has 4mb of memory..

Hmm I wonder if the flash is a card? maybe Ill just take it apart?

c2900XL-c3h2s-mz.120-5.4.WC.1.bin

Wayne

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The last update for a 4 meg box was 11.2.86.SA12 I believe . unfortunetly they appear to have taken the code for this ancient switch off CCO so it may not be available any more . The 8 meg 2924 image will not fit or work with the old 4 meg box . they used to have a ftp site where you could get some of the old images but that appears to defunct also.

Edit: Ok I found it , go here to get the old 4 meg , its not the last version they did but it should get it working.

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/lan/catalyst/2900XL/4MB/

thanks very much, that worked great, its I agree its definately and ancient switch, no switchport trunk command even, oh well.. thanks for the help !!!! I dont know how you managed to find it , but I will definately mark that page in case I find any more archaic gear.

thanks,

Wayne

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card