Views
Helpful
Replies

C2960S Lanbase Routing Crashes

Chuan Liu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 3 c2960s stack with sdm lanbase routing enabled. I was trying to move routing from a router to this switch stack. I have configured a couple of SVI and 5 static routers, which I believe is far below the docmented limit. It had been working fine for one week before I started to use it as a router.

The switch crashed when traffic was directed to it, ie. when it started routing traffic. In 2 hours time, it had 5 crashes. The error mesage says something about  "address error".

When I stopped using it as a router, it is working fine.

As these switches do not have SMARTNET services, I cannot get support from TAC. I hope someone here can give me some help.

2 crashinfo files are attached for your reference.

IOS version: c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE

Thanks in advance.

38 Replies 38

It is the end of March now.

There's a new lot of IOS/Firmware releases tentatively scheduled for end of April 2011.  I am suspecting the 12.2(58) is one of them.

andtoth
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

The defect CSCtj37604 is already fixed in 12.2(58)SE which is expected to be released at the beginning of April. Please note that the release dates are just estimated and not guaranteed because it depends on several things.

Best regards,

Andras

Hi All,

The new software has been released, has anyone delpoyed it yet?

Thanks,

Andrew

I've been using this since Wednesday last week.  But as to whether I'm using the routing feature, I am not.

diogogoncalves
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have any more information about this bug?

I'll get two 2960s and needed simple routing.

I saw the release of IOS 12.2 (58) SE1 but only says this:

CSCtj37604 (Catalyst 2960-S switch)

The switch stack reloads When you enter the ip routing global configuration command.

The workaround is to use the no ip routing global configuration command to disable IP routing.

This is not a solution!

Hi Diogo,

CSCtj37604 is fixed in 12.2(58)SE1 and 12.2(55)SE3.

Best regards,

Andras

Agree it's not a workaround, on the other hand these are really designed as layer 2 switches, why not keeping routing on a device that is designed for that and known to do it well.

I know that they are primarily layer 2 switches, but I need simple routing, and the difference to a layer 3 is great.

Andras Toth have you already tested this feature with the new versions of IOS?

Thanks for the reply

Hi Diogo,

Yes, I have tested it myself to make sure and I can confirm that in 12.2(58)SE1 and 12.2(55)SE3 it has been fixed and no crashing is observed when enabling ip routing. Also, the bug has been fixed and the developers have tested the fix before the new image has been released.

Best regards,

Andras

Good news my friend

thanks one more time for your reply

best regards

Hi Diogo,

Thanks for your feedback, I hope everything will work fine with your switches.

Please rate the posts which you have found helpful.

Best regards,

Andras

Hi Andras Toth,

I have the 2960s, but despite my template is "lanbase-routing", I still have 0 routed interfaces, and therefore I can't do inter-vlan routing

best regards

Hi Diogo,

Did you reload the switch after changing the SDM template?

When you say you can't do inter-vlan routing, what issues are you observing? Do you receive an error message when trying to convert a switchport to routed port?

Could you please share the output of sh version and sh sdm prefer from the switch?

Best regards,

Andras

Hi,

Everything is ok with the C2960S, include the inter-vlan routing.

Zero crash’s  since august

Thanks

Paolo your solution is good, but this site is very very small.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card