Views
Helpful
Replies

C2960S Lanbase Routing Crashes

Chuan Liu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 3 c2960s stack with sdm lanbase routing enabled. I was trying to move routing from a router to this switch stack. I have configured a couple of SVI and 5 static routers, which I believe is far below the docmented limit. It had been working fine for one week before I started to use it as a router.

The switch crashed when traffic was directed to it, ie. when it started routing traffic. In 2 hours time, it had 5 crashes. The error mesage says something about  "address error".

When I stopped using it as a router, it is working fine.

As these switches do not have SMARTNET services, I cannot get support from TAC. I hope someone here can give me some help.

2 crashinfo files are attached for your reference.

IOS version: c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE

Thanks in advance.

38 Replies 38

Hi Andras,

I have ever met the same issue with Diogo which is:

Despite my template is "lanbase-routing", I still have 0 routed interfaces, and therefore I can't do inter-vlan routing.  So could you give me some suggest about which extra step I need do to see serveral routed interfaces are enabled but not "0".  I saw someone mentioned it will display " ...8 routed interfaces and 255 VLANs." (Reference Link: http://blog.alwaysthenetwork.com/tutorials/2960s-can-route/)

Attached my sh sdm prefer and sh version result as below for your reference:

~#show version

Cisco IOS Software, C2960S Software (C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.2(55)SE3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2011 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Thu 05-May-11 16:56 by prod_rel_team

Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x01B00000

ROM: Bootstrap program is Alpha board boot loader

BOOTLDR: C2960S Boot Loader (C2960S-HBOOT-M) Version 12.2(53r)SE, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

blr-inips-c2960-1 uptime is 31 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE3/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE3.bin"

cisco WS-C2960S-48TD-L (PowerPC) processor (revision D0) with 131072K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FOC1528Y3K2

Last reset from power-on

6 Virtual Ethernet interfaces

1 FastEthernet interface

50 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

2 Ten Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.

512K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.

Base ethernet MAC Address       : 1C:AA:07:A6:AF:00

Motherboard assembly number     : 73-11905-08

Power supply part number        : 341-0327-03

Motherboard serial number       : FOC15271JPL

Power supply serial number      : DCA1524P2J7

Model revision number           : D0

Motherboard revision number     : A0

Model number                    : WS-C2960S-48TD-L

Daughterboard assembly number   : 73-11933-04

Daughterboard serial number     : FOC1527547P

System serial number            : FOC1528Y3K2

Top Assembly Part Number        : 800-30925-03

Top Assembly Revision Number    : A0

Version ID                      : V03

CLEI Code Number                : COMGD00ARC

Daughterboard revision number   : A0

Hardware Board Revision Number  : 0x01

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image                

------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------              

*    1 52    WS-C2960S-48TD-L   12.2(55)SE3           C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M    

Configuration register is 0xF

~#sh sdm prefer

The current template is "lanbase-routing" template.

The selected template optimizes the resources in

the switch to support this level of features for

0 routed interfaces and 255 VLANs.     <-------------------"0 routed interfaces" displayed even now is lanbase-routing mode

number of unicast mac addresses:                  4K

number of IPv4 IGMP groups + multicast routes:    0.25K

number of IPv4 unicast routes:                    4.875k

number of directly-connected IPv4 hosts:        4K

number of indirect IPv4 routes:                 0.875k

number of IPv6 multicast groups:                  0.25K

number of directly-connected IPv6 addresses:      0.25K

number of indirect IPv6 unicast routes:           0

number of IPv4 policy based routing aces:         0

number of IPv4/MAC qos aces:                      0.375k

number of IPv4/MAC security aces:                 0.375k

number of IPv6 policy based routing aces:         0

number of IPv6 qos aces:                          0

number of IPv6 security aces:                     0.125k

Thanks,

Louisa

Hi Louisa,

0 routed interface is normal. The 2960S can route for SVIs, but not for "no switchport" (routed) ports.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swipstatrout.html

In the blog post you mention, the output is from a 2960 not from a 2960S, and the value of 8 is invalid in that case, caused by a cosmetic software defect.

Best regards,

Andras

Thanks for your reply and clarification.

Then I followed cisco guideline link which you attached to have a try on my 2960s switch, my purpose is wanting to 2 different subnets ip in 2 different vlans can communicate with each other.  What I did is:

======================

1. Enable sdm prefer lanbase-routeing as above mentioned.

2. Add different ip address in 2 different vlans, such as:

interface Vlan4054

ip address 172.20.79.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface Vlan4055

ip address 172.20.95.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface FastEthernet0

ip address 10.112.45.22 255.255.240.0         <---------- This is the management port of my switch

no ip route-cache

!

ip default-gateway 10.112.47.253

3. Try to add the "Static Unicast Routes" for above subnets via below way, but since met the invalid next hop error as below:

~(config)# ip route 172.20.95.0 255.255.255.0 172.20.95.1

%Invalid next hop address (it's this router)

4. So ignore the step#3 and directly verify the routing on my hosts which connect with 2960s by adding the corresponding subnet router.  But failed to ping each other with the same subnet ip between 2 hosts.

======================

Could you take a look and help point how can I perform the step#3 correctly and if other extra configurations still need in physical switch?

Thanks,

Louisa

Hi Louisa,

There are 2 important things to be done:

- Make sure you reload the switch after changing the SDM template.

- Enable 'ip routing' in global config mode so routing can work.

There's no need to configure static routes on the switch, because it knows about both networks already as they're directly attached.

If this does not help, try pinging the switch int Vlan address (gateway IP) from the connected devices to see if they are reachable.

Best regards,

Andras

- Make sure you reload the switch after changing the SDM template.

Louisa: Yes, I have reloaded the switch.

- Enable 'ip routing' in global config mode so routing can work.

Louisa: Tired to run "ip routing" on switch, but found the switch ssh console disconnected and did not see any response of this command.  Then try to ping management ip, found it pingable, but failed ssh connect.  Do you have any idea about this kind of phenomenon?

BRs,

Louisa

Hi Louisa,

Once you enable ip routing, the switch relies on the IP routing table (sh ip route) instead of the ip default-gateway command. This might break your management access if you're accessing the switch from another non directly connected network.

Make sure you configure a default route towards your gateway, which will most likely be the following command for you:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.112.47.253

Best regards,

Andras

Thanks a lot Andras!

After adding the deafult route via "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.112.47.253", my external ssh management console can works well.  Then execute "ip routing" works fine also, w/o any ssh disconnection issue.  Tried validate from my hosts, now the different subnets ip in vlan4054&4055 can ping each other.  Many thanks here!

BRs,

Louisa

No problem, glad it works now. Please rate helpful posts.

Best regards,

Andras

Diogo Goncalves wrote:

I know that they are primarily layer 2 switches, but I need simple routing, and the difference to a layer 3 is great.

I think you're taking the wrong path.

If you want to give realiable, strong solutions to your customer or your company, only use proven solutions intead of new stuff in the hope of saving money. For example, you can use samll 8 port 3560 L3 switch for inter-vlan routing.

Otherwise you will be only looking for trouble, as your current situation demonstrates.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: