cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C2960X Gigaport Switch

bmack2121
Level 1
Level 1

I just replaced all of our older switches out with newer Gig-port switches. I noticed that the network speed didn't increase like I had hoped for. We have workstations plugged into VOIP phones that have ports only rated for 10/100. Is there anything I can do command wise on the switch to make all ports run at a Gig speeds. I know the obvious is to either get faster ports on phones which is costly... or I can segregate the phones from the desktops which requires me to buy two more switches at the end of the day. However, again I ask is there anything I can do "command wise" on the switch to make all ports run at a Gig speeds?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the phone has a 100Mb/s port, and the PC plugs into that, then there is nothing you can do on the switch.  It is a physical issue.

My personal guess is it will be cheaper to get newer phones with Gigabit ports.

However if you have plenty of spare cabling and don't mind a doubling in management and maintenance then getting more switches is an option.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the phone has a 100Mb/s port, and the PC plugs into that, then there is nothing you can do on the switch.  It is a physical issue.

My personal guess is it will be cheaper to get newer phones with Gigabit ports.

However if you have plenty of spare cabling and don't mind a doubling in management and maintenance then getting more switches is an option.

That was my fear. I thought so.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Ditto, and I might add, some VoIP phones, their integrated switch, doesn't well handle even 100 Mbps.  I.e. the VoIP phone might be even further throttling the downstream PC.

BTW, another approach, might be to use an unmanaged switch out at the VoIP phone and PC. I recall some vendor made a wall jack switch (i.e. two [or four?] wall jack ports were switched to a single uplink).

If you already have the cable runs, an inexpensive solution would be to run the VoIP phone connections to a FE switch with a gig uplink to your main switch.

Before trying either, split one of your VoIP phones and PC and see if the PC performance is noticeably better. 

This is what I ended up doing. Thanks.

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Time to roll out 802.11ac for the notebooks?   :-)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card