Views
Helpful
Replies

C3550 - DHCP issue when using vrf

robsinclair
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone have experience of the following please?

C3550 allows the creation of a vrf and all seems to work ok from a routing perspective however clients within the vrf cannot obtain an IP address from dhcp on the switch.

The dhcp pool is created. There is no option to specify vrf within the pool "ip dhcp use vrf connected" does not exist either. Other scopes exist which are not in the new vrf and they work ok.

Sniffer traces show that the switch responded with an offer from the correct scope but from it's native ip address, not the vlan i/f within the relevent vrf.  when the client responds to the offer there is no subsequent confirmation from the switch which seems to have lost track of the fact the client is in a different vrf?

Given the age of the ios i expect an upgrade is required but does anyone know of one that works?

Switch model is C3550-48-SMI

Image is c3550-i9q312-mz.121-13.EA1a

Many thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Florin Barhala
Level 6
Level 6

Did you try:

ip dhcp pool red_pool

vrf red

Apologies if i've misunderstood but if you mean did i try the vrf command under the pool then yes but the command isn't available.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card