Views
Helpful
Replies

C3750 switch back up

srikanth ath
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I have Cisco cat3750 switch lets say(a) where iam running14 vlans with DHCP server(switch (a) made as a DHCP server) over it for internal Users Bifurcation. now we are going to deploy another switch same cisco cat 3750 lets say (b)which should back up of the switch (a).

how should i have to do this, what all the configs should be done.

Thanks in advance, expecting a quick reply.

Regards

Srikanth

7 Replies 7

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you'll be using it strictly as a backup and not used during normal production, you can do this one of two ways:

a. Stack it with your other switch with the stacking cable (easiest) and don't use it until needed.

b. Uplink the (B) switch to (A) switch and manually transfer the config from switch A to B using tftp, copy/paste, etc.

VLAN transferrence from A to B under the stacking scenario is automatic, but under the uplink scenario you'd either have to create them manually or run VTP between the two switches.

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

hi

1. so which is the better way in the aspect of security or anything that comes in to the picture of stacking or manual transferring.

2. stacking. i have never done this before but i heard it through this cisco community, can you please explain me how it should be done (3750 to 3750). can you please have a patient in explaingin with a simple steps

Regards

srikanth

Hi,

Here is good link to go over. It explains the stacking and how to add or remove a switch from a stack.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml

HTH

Hi

1. so in stacking what ever configured or changes done on switch (a) , those same changes will be reflected to switch (b).

2. if one switch is completely down the other switch automatically takes the requests coming in to the switch a to switch b

thanks & regards

srikanth

Correct, logically you are configuring one switch with multiple physical switches in the stack (up to 9). One switch will be the master and the rest are members. If the master fails based on priority one of the member takes over the responsibilities.

HTH

hi

ohk thanks reza, i almost got the idea of stacking. a small concern

is der anything should be configured on the stacks . i mean on the switches as to give priority or making a switch as master. OR else the physical link will do the trick and switches itself work automatically in making one priority.

thanks

srikanth

hi all

need a last help on stacking,

is der anything should be configured on the stacks . i mean on the switches as to give priority or making a switch as master. OR else the physical link will do the trick and switches itself work automatically in making one priority.

thanks & regards

srikanth

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card