Views
Helpful
Replies

C3850 - Stack

saboodi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I  got C3850-stack of 3 switches when I console the active switch is working fine but when to put the console cable to SW-2 or SW-3 is not working.

please advice me.

Thanks 

3 Replies 3

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @saboodi ,

Look what this guide indicates:

Switch Stack Overview

A switch stack can have up to nine stacking-capable switches connected through their StackWise-480 ports. The stack members work together as a unified system. Layer 2 and Layer 3 protocols present the entire switch stack as a single entity to the network.

A switch stack always has one active switch and one standby switch. If the active switch becomes unavailable, the standby switch assumes the role of the active switch, and continues to the keep the stack operational.

The active switch controls the operation of the switch stack, and is the single point of stack-wide management. From the active switch, you configure:

-System-level (global) features that apply to all stack members

-Interface-level features for each stack member

The active switch contains the saved and running configuration files for the switch stack. The configuration files include the system-level settings for the switch stack and the interface-level settings for each stack member. Each stack member has a current copy of these files for back-up purposes.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/ha_stack_manager/configuration_guide/b_hastck_3se_3850_cg/b_hastck_3se_3850_cg_chapter_010.html

Regards

Thomas Schmitt
Level 1
Level 1

Works as designed. If another switch in the stack will become master, then the console port on that switch will become active

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

That is by design because you supposed to make config changes to the master only and the master will sync its config to all the members. 

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card