Views
Helpful
Replies

C4506 QinQ support

Difan Zhao
Level 5
Level 5

Hi experts,

My company has a 4506 core and I want to configure QinQ to bridge a demo network in two buildings. At one end I have a 3750 and it supports all the commands. However the 4506 doesn't seem to support it. The following is the show ver of the 4506.

#sh ver

Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500-ENTSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(25)SG1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

ROM: 12.2(31r)SGA1

System image file is "bootflash:cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.122-25.SG1.bin"

cisco WS-C4506 (MPC8245) processor (revision 7) with 524288K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FOX085003JK

MPC8245 CPU at 333Mhz, Supervisor IV

Can I get the feature by simply updating the firmware to a newer version? If yes what firmware should I go to? This is the core switch of the company so I don't want to put on the wrong firmware and then downgrade it again... Do I need to use a different feature set?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Derek Zhang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please refer to http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/25ew/configuration/guide/tunnel.html

A supervisor higher than SUP V can support QinQ, but may not support on SUP IV

Thank you for the quick reply! I'm reading the doc and I see this:

Note

802.1Q requires Supervisor Engine V; Layer 2 protocol tunneling is supported on all supervisor engines.

I guess it's typo since 802.1q is just normal vlan tagging and should be supported even on the lowest switch model. I think it means QinQ rather than 802.1q. Do you know since which IOS release is the QinQ being supported? I just want to know if it's worth a try to update the firmware or not.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card