cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

%C4K_L2MAN-6-INVALIDSOURCEADDRESSPACKET: (Suppressed 43199 times)Packet received with invalid source MAC address (01:80:C2:00:00:01) on port Gi1/1 in vlan ...

halima.naboulsi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have this error message on my many catalysts on our network:

%C4K_L2MAN-6-INVALIDSOURCEADDRESSPACKET: (Suppressed 43199 times)Packet received with invalid source MAC address (01:80:C2:00:00:01) on port Gi1/1 in vlan 501

I looked on my network, but I can't find the source of this error.

I think that is related to spanning tree, but I'm not sure.

Can anybody help me on that?

Thanks and Regards,

8 Replies 8

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

01:80:C2:00:00:01 is a multicast address and it can't be a src mac address.

Regards.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hello,

Yes I know, but it is an error, and I can't find the root cause of this error.

Thanks and Regards,

Hi,

sorry. I think you must take a look at upstream switch  to start troubleshooting and you're right it has to do with STP but I can't tell you more

So I'm letting more expert people try to resolve your issue.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi,

Thanks.

Halima,

You are looking for a misbehaving device, not for a misconfiguration here - and the only way to find the misbehaving device is to explore the network behind the Gi1/1 interface. Sniffing the traffic at various points of the network would help to narrow down the source of this traffic. You may also assume that this is a maliciously generated traffic. As you have remarked yourself, it is indeed wrong for an Ethernet frame to be sourced from a multicast MAC address. Unfortunately, it is not possible to recommend any other course of action here.

Best regards,

Peter

This is just Flow control multicast messeges send by Cisco unmanaged Small Buisiness Switches if you have installed any in network. This Small Buisiness Switches using 802.3x mechanism to manage data flow control on network and sending PAUSE messeges on multicast address 01:80:C2:00:00:01.

B. Rajwanshi.

Hello Bharat,

But how can the source MAC address be set to a multicast MAC address? That is in itself a violation of Ethernet standards. The 01:80:C2:00:00:01 is a correct destination address but under no circumstances can this address be used as a source MAC. No multicast MAC address can.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes, you are correct, this shouldn't be the case, we also faced same issue in our organization and able to confirm it causing due to Cisco SMB Switch, I also looking forward to see why this sourcing with multicast??

May Cisco developed this switch on 802.3x mech to support flow control on high speed network and used ethernet standard to achieve the same, just guessing...

Thanks!

B Rajwanshi.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: