Views
Helpful
Replies

C6500-SUP720-VSS Migration To C6800-SUP2T-VSS Recommendation

a12288
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, folks.

I am planning of migrate our campus distribution switches from 2 x C6513-SUP720-VSS to 2 x C6807-SUP2T-VSS. Had anyone done similar migration? My restriction is that I have to power off 1 C6513 at first, take it out, and install 1 C6807 due to the rack space limitation. My goal is to minimize the downtime and leave a last resort way to fall back if needed.

I run different scenarios in my mind, but cannot find a zero downtime solution. Can someone share your thoughts and experiences on this? thanks.

Leo Song

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Leo,

I would not do this without a maintenance/outage window, as there could be some issues during migration no matter how much you plan for it.

That said, are you planning to purchase new modules for the 6807 or moving the modules from the 6513? If you are moving modules from one chassis to another, have you done your research to make sure the modules are compatible with the new switch? Do you have enough space (not in the rack), power and cooling to turn up the new switches and test them before migration?

HTH

Reza.

A maintenance window is absolutely needed. LC won't be an issue since we can only re-used the CFC 1G LC and will purchase the 10G LC anyway. I am testing the C6800 in the lab.

What I need is a less-destructive migration plan, from C6500-VSS-SUP720 to C6800-VSS-SUP2T. I am hoping someone has done similar migration could shed some lights here.

Leo Song

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card