Views
Helpful
Replies

C9300 802.1x EAP-MD5 for IP-Phones not working

stefan.mathys
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have cisco C3560X-48P Switches in our branches and use Avaya IP-Phones for our call agents. All switchports are protected by 802.1x and our Avaya IP-Phones use EAP-MD5 with username and password to authenticat the phone in the voice subnet.
this is our port config:

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
description Avaya IP-Phone
switchport access vlan 10
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 2000
ip arp inspection limit rate 130 burst interval 2
no logging event link-status
authentication control-direction in
authentication event fail action authorize vlan 10
authentication event server dead action authorize vlan 10
authentication event no-response action authorize vlan 10
authentication event server alive action reinitialize
authentication host-mode multi-domain
authentication order dot1x
authentication priority dot1x
authentication port-control auto
authentication periodic
authentication timer reauthenticate server
authentication violation restrict
dot1x pae authenticator
dot1x timeout tx-period 1
no cdp enable
spanning-tree portfast

everything works well so far....

now we want to replace your c3560x switches with the new C9300-48UXM (IOS: 16.09.05) without change our IP-Phone Settings. 

we use the same port config as we had on c3560x but the IP-Phones couldn't authenticate. 

LLDP Neighbour Table is also empty and the c9300 switch send an error

Aug 25 15:33:00: %DOT1X-5-FAIL: Switch 1 R0/0: sessmgrd: Authentication failed for client (001b.4f30.97e3) with reason (No Response from Client) on Interface Tw1/0/1 AuditSessionID 1410D10A0000001C25C446DF
Aug 25 15:33:00: %SESSION_MGR-5-FAIL: Switch 1 R0/0: sessmgrd: Authorization failed or unapplied for client (001b.4f30.97e3) on Interface TwoGigabitEthernet1/0/1 AuditSessionID 1410D10A0000001C25C446DF. Failure Reason: VLAN Failure.

Switch-C9300-001#sh authentication sessions
Interface MAC Address Method Domain Status Fg Session ID
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tw1/0/1 001b.4xxx.9xxx dot1x DATA Unauth 1410D10A0000001C25C446DF

if I made a span session and capture the traffic during the authentication, I can see a "EAP" Failure in Wireshark.

if I do not use 802.1x config on a switchport my phone working well.

could it be that the new c9300 does not support EAP-MD5 challenges or does anyone has an idea what i can try or what my problem is ?

many many thanks for your support

20 Replies 20

Hi,

i try it with photo upload. I hope you can read the details on this picture.

left is my NPS policie for c3560x swiches and on the right side I add the "tunnel-pvt-group-id" with the voice-vlan.

right looks like it workt's for booth switche types. I have to do some tests in our lab... after vacation :-)NPS_MD5_Policy.jpg

thanks a lot for your support.

This is a solution to push the voice vlan.
You can also push the domain voice with following attribute:
cisco-av-pair = device-traffic-class=voice

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

hi, if you can see in my last post on the printscreen, we already send the domain in in "cisco-av-pair"

for my the only one solution is, if I add the "tunnel-pvt-group-id" with the voice-vlan name. 

Yes i saw it.

I'm not doing dot1x with NPS but I'm gonna try with 9300 switches and do some debugs when I'll get a 9300 available.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi Stefan:

Thank you for posting this screen shot. This is very helpful as to what settings I should configure for the Network Policy in Windows Network Policy Server. Similar to your setup, I am the network/server administrator of an organization that uses Avaya 9600 phones deployed in a Cisco Catalyst 9300 environment. I have been struggling to get my phones to authenticate via 802.1x. The PC that I connected to the phone authenticate successfully; however, the phones go into an unauthorized state. 

Do you mind providing a quick run down  as to how you have your phones configured in your Active Directory Server, as well as the network connection request policy and network policy itself. I am running into a brick wall and would appreciate any feedback on this. 

Thank you.

Stefan, 

Could you provide me with more details as far as what you did with the tunnel-pvt-group-id config you mentioned? I might be running into this problem as well. Do you have a print screen you can share? Thanks, -Matt

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card