Views
Helpful
Replies

c9300 add new Switch to Stack

Hubsi-Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
my Company use 2 Cisco c9300-24T as Stack. Now, we want to add a new Switch to this Stack.

Today I recieved the new switch and downgrade the firmware to the same running on stack. That was fine after reload sh ver shows the equal firmware like the stacked on.

Furthermore I read the guide here: LINK

My stack has two switches, both has priority 1 and switch stack number 1 and 2.

I want the new switch to add them stack number 3.

I am confused how to add the new switch.

1. should I turn off the new switch, put the stacking cable and power them on and all is fine?

2. Should I do offline configuration to provision a stack member?

a)  On stack I type: switch 3 provision c9300-24T

b) New switch I type switch 1 renumber 3

c) wr mem

d) power off and connect to stack switch

Which way is the best to add a new device to an existing stack?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

1. On the existing running stack provision, the new switch ( at this point DONT have the new switch connected in anyway)
  2. (OPTIONAL) on new switch (NOT connected to the existing switch stack) Renumber the switch, save the change and power off switch
  3. (OPTIONAL but suggested) Prioritize the two existing switches in the stack so the preferred master has the highest value , standby switch next highest value)
  4. Physically connect new switch (NOT POWERED ON) to existing stack, making sure once connected you have a full stack ring connection
  5. Power on new switch

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Your steps are almost correct.

Make sure you issue the switch 3 provision c9300-24T command on the running switch stack, cable in the new switch into the stack, and then power it on. 

With the exception of the image downgrade on the new switch, there are no commands you need to run on it prior to connecting to the new stack.

cheers,

Seb.

Hi,
thank you for your answer. When I follow the guide linked above I should do the provision on the stack and on the new switch I should add a stack member number.

Guide:
You manually create the provisioned configuration through the switch stack-member-number provision type global configuration command. You must change the stack-member-number on the provisioned switch before you add it to the stack, and it must match the stack member number that you created for the new switch on the switch stack. The switch type in the provisioned configuration must match the switch type of the newly added switch. The provisioned configuration is automatically created when a switch is added to a switch stack and when no provisioned configuration exists.

I have forgotten to say that this is my very first time to add a new device to an existing stack. So I am a bit carefully.

Hello

1. On the existing running stack provision, the new switch ( at this point DONT have the new switch connected in anyway)
  2. (OPTIONAL) on new switch (NOT connected to the existing switch stack) Renumber the switch, save the change and power off switch
  3. (OPTIONAL but suggested) Prioritize the two existing switches in the stack so the preferred master has the highest value , standby switch next highest value)
  4. Physically connect new switch (NOT POWERED ON) to existing stack, making sure once connected you have a full stack ring connection
  5. Power on new switch

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

how the new switch added to the stack get the running configuration from the stack?

thanks 

You do not need any configuration on the new member. rules of stacking :

1. make sure the model is supported to add a stack.

2. make sure IOS code running same one as others.

Once above both meets the requirement.

Stepts :

1. make a note of exiting stack switch numbers and priority (example you are already having 3 switch in stack and priority Sw1 - 15 , sw2- 14, sw3- 13)

Now you adding switch 4

Offline renumber the switch - renumber the switch 4 and priority 12

write the config

switch off the device. move to same rack where the exiting stack, connect the stack cable (hope you know how to connect stack ring)

Power on the new switch. and monitor from the Master switch ( show switch) - also if you have config provision switch model, then add that command.

Note: if you are more cautious doing this, take the config backup, do the task in a maintenance window.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I had this issue yesterday, I had to add the configuration for the new switch's interfaces only

I had to add the configuration for the new switch's interfaces only  - what config?

Once the switch in the stack, there is no config on the ports, so you need to add what ever config is required, like access VLAN or trunk config.

BB

same i did , thanks 

Since you can only apply the config, once the switch joined stack if you do that config any way it not going to retain.

that is standard behavior to config to be applied.

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card