Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9300 reset switch password to factory default

am running IOS 16.9 Fuji, and I have done reset to factory defaults 

factory-reset all

And I still cannot log into the Web GUI.   I have tried both the cisco user ID and the webui user id (doc says cisco is correct for IOS FUJI 16.9.   I am using the chassis serial number from the chassis, and I have also tried the:

Processor board ID FCW2201xxxx (Same as serial number sticker on chassis, and the System Serial Number)

and the

Motherboard Serial Number : FOC2201xxxx

I cannot get logged in.

Please show me the light as to what I am missing.

Thank you

Bryan

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Once you dont factory reset all, do not make any config on console : (just power on)

The bootup script runs the configuration wizard, which prompts you for basic configuration input: (Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]: ). To configure Day0 settings using the Web UI, do not enter a response. Perform the following tasks instead:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/hardware/install/b_c9300_hig/b_c9300_hig_chapter_01000.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Unfortunately this does NOT work on any of the 3 C9300 switches I have.   I NEVER get an IP address.  I have spent 40+ hours trying to get to the point I can use the WebGUI and I simply cannot get it to work.   So I setup the management port and I can get to the WebGUI via the management port, but the default password of the chassis serial number does not work.  I have configured a number of 3750s and NEVER once had this much trouble.

Any other ideas?

Thx

Bryan

Well I gave up on the documented procedure.   Instead I did another factory-reset config, and then via the serial console Iin response to: Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]: I entered YES, and went through all of that dialog, and as part of that I set the WebGui default user password, and setup an IP address on the management interface.   Once I did all of that I was able to get logged into the WebGui.  I seriously question whether what Cisco has documented works given a 3 out of 3 switch failure rate.

Thank you to everyone for your help.

Bryan

Hello,

as far as I recall, 'factory-reset all' returns the switch to ROMMON, which means all IOS and BOOT images have been erased. You don't have access to the WebGUI because there is no IOS image. You need to load it first (hopefully you have made a backup before the reset)...

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-9/configuration_guide/sys_mgmt/b_169_sys_mgmt_9300_cg/simplified_factory_reset.html

I reinstalled the image 16.9 image.   The WebGUI comes up on the management port which I configured via the command line.   I simply cannot login with the default user name of cisco and password of chassis serial number.

Thx

Bryan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card