Views
Helpful
Replies

C9500-16X-2Q Pair - no boot when StackWise Virtual enabled

simoncope
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a pair of new C9500-16X-2Q switches that I am attempting to pair using StackWise Virtual. They are running 17.03.03 in INSTALL mode and have the requisite Advantage license (show version output attached for the 1st switch). The intention is to link them via the two 40G ports in the C9500-NM-2Q modules using QSFP-H40G-AOC cables.  For my initial attempts to set up stacking I have been using only one link.

I have been referring to the High Availability Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS XE Amsterdam 17.3.x (Catalyst 9500 Switches) at:  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9500/software/release/17-3/configuration_guide/ha/b_173_ha_9500_cg/configuring_cisco_stackwise_virtual.html

My StackWise Virtual commands:

Switch(config)#stackwise-virtual
Please reload the switch for Stackwise Virtual configuration to take effect
Upon reboot, the config will be part of running config but not part of start up config.
Switch(config-stackwise-virtual)#domain 2
Switch(config-stackwise-virtual)#exit
Switch(config)#int Fo1/1/1
Switch(config-if)#stackwise-virtual link 1
Switch(config-if)#exit

I believe that is all that is required (along with a write mem of course). The problem I have is that when I then issue the reload command, the switches will then not boot back into the OS again. They just kind of get stuck:

Proceed with reload? [confirm]

Chassis 1 reloading, reason - Reload command
May 18 10:47:06.531: %PMAN-5-EXITACTION: F0/0: pvp: Process manager is exiting: reload fp action requested
May 18 10:47:07.895: %PMAN-5-TACTION: R0/0: pvp: Process manager is exiting: process exit with reload stack code

Initializing Hardware......

System Bootstrap, Version 17.3.2r, RELEASE SOFTWARE (P)
Compiled Tue 08/25/2020 23:46:12.85 by rel

Current ROMMON image : Primary
Last reset cause : CpuReset
C9500-16X platform with 16777216 Kbytes of main memory

boot: attempting to boot from [flash:packages.conf]
boot: reading file packages.conf
#
###############################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################

Waiting for 120 seconds for other switches to boot

Waiting for 120 seconds for other switches to boot
#######################################################################################################################
Switch number is 1

At this point I have no command prompt (connected via RS232 by the way) and cannot issue any commands. There is no further output. The only way out of that state is to reboot and break into ROMMON and unset the parameters relating to stacking.

The same output can be seen regardless of whether the second switch is up and with StackWise Virtual enabled. I have also tried various combinations including using multiple ports for the link, adding DaD, trying 10G ports etc etc but I always end up at the same point. What am I doing wrong?

17 Replies 17

josejmto1510
Level 1
Level 1

Hello simoncope,

Access to the ROMMON mode and check what is the format for the SWITCH MAC-ADDRESS.

switch: set

ABNORMAL_RESET_COUNT=1

AUTO_SWITCH_CONSOLE_DISABLE=0

BAUD=9600

BOARDID=20610

BOOT=flash:packages.conf

MAC_ADDR=44AE.25EB.D100

If you have the format 44AE.25EB.D100 change this for 44:AE:25:EB:D1:00. To do this use the following command:

switch: set MAC_ADDR=44:AE:25:EB:D1:00

And reload the switch.

I had the same problem that you and this was the solution.

Best regards

I can confirm I had the exact same issue. This was the fix. I appreciate the tip!

Hello,

I can also confirm I had the exact same issue.  I had to make this MAC change on both 9500s for the switches to boot completely and recognize the stack.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card