cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9500-40X fails port negotiation

mauricio2099
Level 1
Level 1

Hello people, I have a pair of C9500-40X running SVL in a 24/7 environment. Once connecting a server using TWINAX cables didn't worked, there was no link on the ports. This was not the first server connected to the 9500s. Due to the urgency the server was connected using ethernet cables to another switch.

Later I found a port for a Standby firewall was not coming up (when a failover was needed).
Firewall is connected to the 9500s with an GLC-TE RJ45 SFP but ports doesn't come up. Tried different speed/duplex combinations. The best was getting 10M-Half. Then if you remove the cable. The port on the switch remains solid green and active on the IOS. 

The SFP was replaced and also the cable. And also tested on other ports and on both switches but had same results.
Also the problem happens if you attach a laptop instead. 
SFPs are recognized but ports doesn't come up.

Actually there are other SFPs same type and twinax working fine on other ports.

The switch was restarted but no luck.

16 Replies 16

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i come across this on Cat 9500 some OLD IOS - not top of my head, what IOS XE running, Time for Upgrade to latest IOX XE 17.X

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji, Thank you for checking. 
My current version is 16.9.1r. I will check to see when I can have an upgrade as this is site is 24/7

since its SVL with minimal downtime you can upgrade, we can understand 24/7 we hardly get downtime. so depends on the requirement if the SFP  issue can be held then do the upgrade when you get the maintenance window. if not raise risk and upgrade as soon you can and report back any issue.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji,
The maintenance was finally granted for next weekend.

Current Version 16.9.3 Fuji 

On the Software download site I see the suggested version is

Amsterdam-17.3.5(MD)

Can the switch IOS go from Fuji to Amsterdam? and how many jumps would it require?

I tried to find the information from the catalog but couldn't find it. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tools-catalog.html

Thanks!

keibler
Level 1
Level 1

Could you post the output of the "show interface transceiver details", show interface x/x,   and a "show run int x/x" commands when the port is not function and the SFP and/or TWINAX  is plugged in. There are some other useful commands such as "show hw-module subslot transceiver" which you can find a reference at https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/interface/command/ir-cr-book/ir-s4.html#wp6553420000

Hi Keibler, thank you for your reply, I'll be checking the information.

Initially I can tell issuing the first command brings the message: Diagnostic Monitoring is not implemented.
I will check the article provided

Mauricio,

The first command may not work if it is not an optical SFP.  What you do is to check if the transceiver is being recognized by the switch .  Some of the other commands may work but I do not have access to a 9500 right now to validate.  If you have not looked through the log after plugging in the SFP (must be set to at least informational) you may want to look there as well for some indication.  Additionally,  you may want to run the default interface command to reset the interface that you plan on plugging in the SFP into prior to plugging it in.  Lastly,  your code version supports the GLC-TE (min required is 6.6.1).  Without some type of show output we are shooting arrows into the abyss hoping to hit something for ya. 

@keibler09 wrote:

My current version is 16.9.1r.

16.9.1r is actually the ROMMON version.  
Post the complete output to the command "sh version".

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What firmware is the switch running on. 

There is a very long list of Bug IDs (affecting 9500) about optics not working and, in some cases, STOP working after >1 year of uptime.  

Hi Leo, Thank you for checking. 
My current version is 16.9.1r. I will check to see when I can have an upgrade as this is site is 24/7

Hello
On the ports that are failing, can you check their port capabilities 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

mauricio2099
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

The maintenance was finally granted for next weekend.

Current Version 16.9.3 Fuji 

On the Software download site I see the suggested version is Amsterdam-17.3.5(MD)

Can the switch IOS go from Fuji to Amsterdam? and how many jumps would it require?

I tried to find the information from the catalog but couldn't find it. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tools-catalog.html

Thanks!

Direct upgrade to 17.3.5 is possible.  

Do not forget to read the Release Notes.

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your help. I'll revert once upgrade is done

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card