cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can anyone provide a practical example of when Etherchannel would be configured but then NOT trunked...

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

I am in the process of educating a client of mine about all aspects of switching.

I was teaching them about Etherchannel the other day, when I realized that I did not know for sure whether or not one could create an Etherchannel and then not trunk it.

Based on some examples I have seen, I am still led to believe it is possible.

I am just trying to think of a practical example of configuring such...  The only thing that comes to my mind is if you are NIC teaming a server's two NIC's then we may want to Etherchannel but not trunk?...

Thanks in Advance!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Another example would be a p2p link between two L3 switches.

View solution in original post

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi kevin

Yes it is definitely possible to configure a L2 etherchannel without it having to be a trunk. It's just that most etherchannels are switch interconnects and with these you are usually  passing multiple vlans across it so that is why you see those the most.

But if you simply need an etherchannel for added throughput and redundancy but no need to carry multiple vlans then there is no need to configure it as a trunk.

A practical example as you say would be a server but it can also apply to other devices connecting to the network. It just depends on what you need.

Also worth mentioning there are obviously L3 etherchannels where the concept of trunking is not relevant.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Another example would be a p2p link between two L3 switches.

Thanks for your reply.  that is a fine answer as well.

I appreciate your input.

Kevin

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks John!

As always, you have nailed it.  Now I know what to tell my students tomorrow!

Your help is appreciated with this.

I hope you are well.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi kevin

Yes it is definitely possible to configure a L2 etherchannel without it having to be a trunk. It's just that most etherchannels are switch interconnects and with these you are usually  passing multiple vlans across it so that is why you see those the most.

But if you simply need an etherchannel for added throughput and redundancy but no need to carry multiple vlans then there is no need to configure it as a trunk.

A practical example as you say would be a server but it can also apply to other devices connecting to the network. It just depends on what you need.

Also worth mentioning there are obviously L3 etherchannels where the concept of trunking is not relevant.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card