cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can be 1000v run as a normal VM?

imarek004
Level 1
Level 1

Can be the Nexus 1000v run as a normal Virtual Machine?

I am stuck with adding network interfaces and utilizing them in nx-os console.

I do not need to replace  the simple switch in vCenter.

I just want to run instance of N1k to test its TRILL (fabricpath) capabilities, or more precisely to compare its behaviour with my implementation for OMNeT++ simulator.

1 Reply 1

brandonngo1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I don't know if it helps, but I had a similar wish today.

I wanted just to launch NX-OS to perform RADIUS authentication, using a Radius server, and use custom roles for users.

I didn't know how to use this VM.

I should have used Vcenter & Vsphere , related to the documentation, but I had only VmWare Workstation.

So I extract the ISO file from the archive for Vcenter to install the "VSM".

I installed the VSM using this document : http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_2_1_s_v_2_1_1/install_upgrade/vsm_vem/guide/b_Installation_and_Upgrade_Release_4_2_1SV2_1_1/b_Installation_and_Upgrade_Release_4_2_1SV2_1_1_appendix_0101.pdf

And I blocked to the setup, because I didn't have the correct Interfaces.

By default, there is one interface for my VM. So I went to the data store of the VM, opened the .vmx file of it, and add 2 interfaces (ethernet0 was present, I added ethernet1 and 2).

Then the installation works. And for now I managed to do what I want, without understanding completely the role of the 1000V and configuring things that are not important for me now.

I hope it helps !

Brandon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card