Views
Helpful
Replies

Can carry multicast on two switch using trunk

MrBeginner
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

I have 2x 2960 switch.Each switch have one vlan only  (vlan 2 ) and two switches are connected using trunk.

All switches are running igmp snooping and querier.

So any config need to carry multicast between two switches? All are using same vlan.

Multicast can carry on trunk?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

yes, that is correct. Enable the querier and it should work.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Yes, multicast should work for your devices in vlan 2 on both switches.You should not need any other command if all the devices are in one vlan.

Thanks

John

Hi

Multcast is layer 3 protocol while trunk is a layer 2 protocol.  Layer 2 protocol has no option but transport Layer 3 protocol as its payload, that´s why they  exist. But for that to happen, you need to have Layer 3 properly configured, including Multicast.

MrBeginner
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All,

I only want to run igmp-snooping and igmp snooping querier ,igmp-snooping admin mode enable for each to carry some multicast traffic. But it is no mean multicasting routing.

It will multicast on same vlan. But problem is i have the two switch and same vlan.

So i carry trunk vlan. it is still need Layre 3 ?  i never run PIM or DENSE .

Hi,

If you are on the same vlan, multicast should work. Are you getting any issues or errors?

Thanks

John

MrBeginner
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

As per below URL , I need to configure mrouter or querier ,correct ? So i need to configure for each switch as same querier IP ?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/68131-cat-multicast-prob.html

Hi,

yes, that is correct. Enable the querier and it should work.

Thanks

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card