cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can directly upgrade C2960x-48fps-L from ver 150-2a.EX5 to 152-7.E2.bin?

Herman2018
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, can please advise whether can upgrade C2960x-48fps-L switch IOS from version 150-2a.EX5 to 152-7.E2?

From c2960x-universalk9-mz.150-2a.EX5
 upgrade To :c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-7.E2.bin

Will be any issue? 

is it just upload the new image file to switch , then specify the boot image using following command?

config)#boot system flash: newimagefilename

#wr

then reload , finish? Please advise, thanks in advance!

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You may need to do a COLD REBOOT (pull the power cable and completely power off the switch) before powering it back up.

This is due to CSCut90593.

Thanks @Leo Laohoo . So when should I do the cold reboot? after I upload the new image and run the boot system command and write mem, then need to plug out the power cable, then plug in again to boot up the switch? 

Please advise ,thanks.

After the firmware has been uploaded and successfully unpacked.  Instead of issuing the "reload" command, initiate the cold reboot.

Thanks @Leo Laohoo . But we just use .bin file instead of .tar file because we don't need device manager. We use ssh to manage the device only. 

Never, ever, copy the BIN file across.  It is an old method that is fraught with danger. 

If you don't want the HTML files then use the following command: 

archive download-sw /image-only tftp://<TFTP_IP_ADDRESS>/filename.tar

That above command will only unpack the BIN file, correctly change the boot variable string to point to the new firmware and run a quick file verification check to make sure the BIN file is NOT CORRUPT.  

The copy command does not offer the same feature and luxury as the one above.

@Leo Laohoo thanks, then why there is bin file under cisco software download page if just copy the bin file will take risk? Before uploading bin file to the switch using TFTP, I have already run MD5check, it matches. So the file is not corrupt, right? please advise, thanks.

@Leo Laohoo , from the bug search, it mentioned that the known fix realeses as below, now latet version is 15.2.7e, should be already fixed ,right? 

15.2(6.3.0i)E
15.2(5.0)ST
15.2(4.0.64a)E
3.7(2)E
3.6(3)E

CSCut90593 only affects IOS version 15.0(2)EX train.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card