cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I introduce BFD on-the-fly?

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

I have a situation where I have an OSFP adjacency between two SVIs on different switches, through multiple L2 hops of the VLAN. (Don't ask why!)  If one of those hops goes down, it will take an unacceptably long time (the OSPF dead time) before the SVIs realise that the adjacency is down, and re-converge.

I have never used BFD, but can I introduce it on the fly?  What happens in the interval between when I configure it on one SVI and before I configure it on the other?  Will the adjacency go down?  Or is it safe?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Edited to correct title ;-)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You mean BFD?

I believe its "safe" because I recall both sides actively need to use it before its loss will take an IGP down.  I.e. it has to be "up" first.

PS:

Besides BFD, OSPF fast hellos might be considered too.  You might find hardware that doesn't support BFD but does support OSPF fast hellos.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You mean BFD?

I believe its "safe" because I recall both sides actively need to use it before its loss will take an IGP down.  I.e. it has to be "up" first.

PS:

Besides BFD, OSPF fast hellos might be considered too.  You might find hardware that doesn't support BFD but does support OSPF fast hellos.

Yes, I mean BFD.  (I couldn't remember if it was "Bi Directional Forwarding" or "Bidirectional Forwarding Detection".

The hardware is Nexus 7700, so I should be OK.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card