cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can i issue command "copy startup-config running-config" when i wanted to fallback to original?

getaway51
Level 2
Level 2

I enter some wrong commands in cisco switch. But i havent saved (wr mem) Therefore I wanted to fallback to original state. Can i issue this command? Do i need to "wr mem" after this command? 

ahgd6763#copy startup-config running-config 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
6 Replies 6

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Router# configure replace nvram:startup-config

Refer to this post - 

http://packetlife.net/blog/2010/may/17/use-configure-replace-instead-of-copy-start-run/

Edwin Portillo
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi my friend,

running-config (system): command displays the active configuration in memory (including saved configuration changes) on the adaptive security appliance.

startup-config (Non-volatile random access memory): Shows the configuration saved in the NVRAM.

The write memory command has been replaced by the copy system:running-config nvram: startup-config command.

Puedes revisar el siguiente material sera de ayuda para ti: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/configfun/command/reference/ffun_r/frf006.html#wpxref54869

on newer models wr m does not work but wr still does

Vince Williams
Level 1
Level 1

You can also just reload the device and it will load the config from memory; make sure you don't save the running config if it asks you.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Yes you can issue the command but a copy startup to running does (by default) a merge not a replace. I.e. it likely won't undo the commands you've entered.

This is explained in the reference OMZ provided, along with the configure replace command. The only issue I had using the configure replace command, sometimes it doesn't work correctly. If it does work, you don't need to save the running config as it should now be the same as the startup config.

An alternative (as described by Vince), assuming as you've described you haven't saved the running config, is to reload the device, this will use the startup config.

samuelnwadike
Level 1
Level 1

If you haven't saved the new configuration, no need to complicate things always keep it simple you can unplug,  you can reset. I would advise the first. however copy start run would work but but possibly merge any new configurations you make with your start up so if you make mistakes again you might be stuck. 

copy start run is best when recovery forgotten "enable secret" from rom monitor (rommon). 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card