cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can i lower cisco 4506 power consumption.

I just bought old cisco 4506 with SUP4 + 2x48GB  3x48FE poe and have a plan to use it in my small office. (>20 port GB used)

I heard this chassis is power sucker so i need to lower it power consumption. can you tell me what i can do? such as

shutdown module that i doesn't used.

shutown some switchport.

power off 2nd power supply.

or your guys has alternative way ex. Cisco EnergyWise?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Your line card and supervisor card will draw the required power to "power up", however, your PS will draw the MAXIMUM power it's required.  So I really don't understand how you can "save power".

The only way to "save power" is to use a single power supply.  But this means that if you loose this power supply, you loose your network.

View solution in original post

That's right.  The Power Calculator will help you determine what PS to use using different line cards as a scenario. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can turn off the power to the poe ports if not needed .  The power is determined by the size of the installed power supplies .  You can check into enrgywise , haven't tried it myself and have never seen it discussed in here before.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm using EnergyWise.  I don't see any relevance as to WHY you would want to use it.  I also don't see any information about your PoE requirement, hence, no comment on how you'd like to save money by powering down PoE.  

The power requirement for the 4506 would, most likely, be LESS than getting six PoE switches individually. 

I mean, if you don't use PoE, the line cards will only draw what is required.  So trying to save money from energy consumption of the chassis won't make a lot of sense.

I means if I want to lower power usage from chassis + supervisor engine + some line card I use how I can do it. So if you tell me it just low/Not very different such as we require on most l3 poe switch then I will feel comfortable to using it.

Your line card and supervisor card will draw the required power to "power up", however, your PS will draw the MAXIMUM power it's required.  So I really don't understand how you can "save power".

The only way to "save power" is to use a single power supply.  But this means that if you loose this power supply, you loose your network.

This means the dats from cisco power calculator is just max power it needs right?

That's right.  The Power Calculator will help you determine what PS to use using different line cards as a scenario. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: