cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can I mix POE and Non-POE 3750's in a stack?

Jonnyballgame34
Level 1
Level 1

HI 

I have 2 x 3750 24 port non-poe switches in a stack at a remote site.  Can I send them a single POE switch and have them add it to the stack or do I need to have a matched pair?  Or which way is easier ?....bearing in mind it's remote guys who'd rather just rack one new one. 

Thanks very much,

Jon

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jon

I would expect no problem adding a POE switch to a stack with non POE switches as long as other switch characteristics (version of software, license, etc) are compatible.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, you shouldn't need a matched pair.  You should be able to mix and match any 3750s in the same stack, although there are issues you need to be cognizant of.

Rick already mentioned possible issues if IOS version or feature licenses differ.  (NB: they are not always required to match, but if they don't, again, possible issues arise.)  Another, I recall, is if SDM templates differ. Others issues might involve stack priority and interface numbering.

If you mix StackWise with StackWisePlus switches, the StackWisePlus switches lose many of their improved features (and such mixed stacks are more difficult to software upgrade.)

Also, if you're using StackWisePlus models, and StackPower, a PoE switch, especially if one of its own power supply fails, might not be able to draw the power it needs to support all its PoE requirements.

So, again, although you're not required to have a matched pair, there can be considerations to adding any stack member, and depending on what you want to provide, and what you have now, replacing the whole stack might be a better option.

Oh, again depending on your needs, an option might be to replace one stack member with a PoE 3750 (rather than adding it as a 3rd stack member).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jon

I would expect no problem adding a POE switch to a stack with non POE switches as long as other switch characteristics (version of software, license, etc) are compatible.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for answering this--i thought that was the case, but wanted to make sure before I shipped this to a remote site because the switches were used, didn't want it installed only to find out that there were problems.  Matched the IOS versions before I shipped it and it went fine.  Thanks again. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, you shouldn't need a matched pair.  You should be able to mix and match any 3750s in the same stack, although there are issues you need to be cognizant of.

Rick already mentioned possible issues if IOS version or feature licenses differ.  (NB: they are not always required to match, but if they don't, again, possible issues arise.)  Another, I recall, is if SDM templates differ. Others issues might involve stack priority and interface numbering.

If you mix StackWise with StackWisePlus switches, the StackWisePlus switches lose many of their improved features (and such mixed stacks are more difficult to software upgrade.)

Also, if you're using StackWisePlus models, and StackPower, a PoE switch, especially if one of its own power supply fails, might not be able to draw the power it needs to support all its PoE requirements.

So, again, although you're not required to have a matched pair, there can be considerations to adding any stack member, and depending on what you want to provide, and what you have now, replacing the whole stack might be a better option.

Oh, again depending on your needs, an option might be to replace one stack member with a PoE 3750 (rather than adding it as a 3rd stack member).

Thanks for answering this--i thought that was the case, but wanted to make sure before I shipped this to a remote site because the switches were used, didn't want it installed only to find out that there were problems.  Matched the IOS versions before I shipped it and it went fine.  Thanks again. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: