cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can not reverse telnet into 3560X

HunterAllenR
Level 1
Level 1

We have a  3560X at one of our remote locations that we are trying to get into using reverse telnet. When we connect from the router, we get our standard banner and the username/password prompts. When I try using my TACACS credentials I immediately get an authentication failed message, which is what I would expect since the switch is not online yet. When I try using the local credentials, it just hangs after the password and I can not do anything with it until I disconnect and clear the line.

I am assuming that it is the correct cable, ports, and speed since I can get that far with the connection. The engineer that configured the switch before shipping it has been on medical leave since December and left no documentation on the config he applied to it.

The senior engineer here suggested we try a password recovery on it. Before I send the POC back out there to reset the switch, is there anything else that I can try remotely?

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The only way you can do a password recovery is by having a console cable connected to the console port of the switch or if you have a terminal server where the console port is connected to.

I think you still have to send the POC back there to try to logon to it via console and change the setting on the vty line

HTH

Thank you, but I was looking to see if anyone might have a suggestion other than the password recovery. I do not think it is a password issue since when I use the tacacs credentials it immediately returns an error, but when I use the local credentials it just sits there and does nothing after I enter the password.

Here is the config on the router's AUX port:

line aux 0
  modem InOut
  no exec
  transport input all
  transport output all

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card