Views
Helpful
Replies

Can ping a PC from the Switches, but not from my PC

CSchaatsbergen
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

Maybe not so much a Cisco question but hopefully you will help me none-the-less.

We have a couple of Cisco switches and connected a (Windows 7) laptop to one of them and it gets its IP address from a DHCP server.

I can now ping the IP from all of the switches, no problem, also not when I log on to the core switch in the same VLAN as both notebooks. But from my (Windows 7) laptop, which is in the same VLAN as the target laptop, I cannot ping it.

I checked, default gateway is good on both sides, as are DNS servers.

Target notebook ---- Catalyst 3560 V2 switch === Core Catalyst 3750 switch (stack) === Catalyst 3560G switch --- My notebook

Anyone able and willing to help me out? What could it be?

Thanks

Chris

4 Replies 4

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Check if VLAN is created on 3560. And trunk need to be configured between those switches.
Also VLAN should be allowed on a trunk.
And port connected to Win PC need to be access port with that VLAN.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Best regards,
Abzal

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

AS Abzal said kindly check the trunk links if the vlan is allowed over there.

Your setup:

Target notebook ---- Catalyst 3560 V2 switch === Core Catalyst 3750 switch (stack) === Catalyst 3560G switch --- My notebook

1- Kindly check if both the notebook are getting the ip address from the same subnet?

2- Check the trunk interfaces and make sure the vlans are allowed from all over the trunk between the switches.

3- Then check pinging from switch end to the host and see from which switch exactly you are getting denied:

Eg: If Mynotebook is not able to ping target notebook test the following way:

a- Check if Catalyst 3560 V2 switch is able to ping the TN? If yes

b- Ping the same from Stack switch ...if yes

c- Ping from the 3560G Switch and so on./Or do a traceroute to the Target Note from this switch and see were exactly its failing.

HTH.

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate the usefull post.

Disable your windows Firewall

Jawad

CSchaatsbergen
Level 1
Level 1

I can ping the TN from all three switches, even the 3560G where my notebook is connected to

The VLANs are distributed over the switches using VTP from the core switch

All switches are interconnected over trunks and

This VLAN is (definately) allowed on all trunks in our network.

Both notebooks are on an Access Port in the same correct VLAN.

Windows Firewall is not enabled, we have a 3rd party produkt in use and it should allow a ping, it allowes the ping from the switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: