cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can QoS help if just on LAN and one router?

jasonww04
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a point to using QoS if it is just on the switches and router at one site? We want to prioritize video conferencing but since I will never have control over the remote end of the connection (or any point in between), can QoS help me at all?

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It may, especially for router egress, assuming that's a principle bottleneck.

However, if the far side doesn't support any QoS, especially on their router egress (also assuming that's a principle bottleneck), you may lose out on much that QoS might help for ingress traffic to your router.

I have a 50Mbps connection and never come close to maxing it out. If I don't max out the internet connection, QoS won't really help me, will it?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If you truly never max out, as in packets never queue on an interface, QoS wouldn't make a difference.

If you're measuring "maxing out" by typical link utilization, i.e. 100%, you generally don't know whether the foregoing is true or not.

Even if you do have transient congestion, it may not be adverse to your applications.  When QoS may "help" is when there's congestion that's adverse to your applications.

How do I check for packets queueing on an interface? Is it under show interface x?

Yes, usually.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco