Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't get access to Cisco 819-4G router

rawik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a problem with my Cisco router. I can't get access to it through con/aux port. Router responds only to telnet request "Password required but none set"and then it closes connection. When I try to get access with COM it shows nothing. Router does get IP from WAN and it responds to pings. It doesn't have services such as SSH and HTTP. It has only telnet port open. 

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

can you check if the right COM port is used?

also check if terminal program settings are correct: 9600-8-N-1-N

you're getting the error "Password required but none set" since there's no VTY line passwords were configured.

do you have a copy of the show run? post a sanitized output here.

Hi, 

COM port is correct, we have only one of this.

Terminal program settings are correct, i've used putty and hyperterminal.

I can't connect to router, so still i can't configure anything and give commands.

hi,

looks like you need to perform a password recovery.

make sure to properly configure the router for remote access, i.e. local user, line VTY and enable PW are configured.

I don't know if the router is configured properly, because I can't get access to the CLI on router. I tried to connect with console Cisco cable but putty doesn't even show prompt. It get stuck like without connection at all. 

can you try with other laptop and another terminal emulation software (i.e. tera term)?

are you using a serial to USB adapter? make sure its driver is updated.

We've tried with other laptop and with usb adapter too, also different OS (win7,win10,XP,ubuntu).
We've tried tera term too.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card