Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Patrick McHenry
Participant

Can't get PC to operate at gig speed.

- Card is an onboard Intel NetXtreme gigabyte Ethernet card.

- No option to set to auto-1000, only auto, 100/full,half and 10/full,half

- PCI expansion cards will not work in the PC (Tried 2 different cards, they both work in other PC’s on the same type of port, pci-express 16)

- Tried latest driver version, jan 1st 2011, and vender approved version (dates to 2006)

- We set both sides to auto, it only negotiates 100/full

- When we set port speed to 1000 and PC to auto, it doesn't connect

- swapped ports and switch, no difference

- We tried different switchports that are working at 1000, problem pc didn’t connect

Switchport Config:

interface GigabitEthernet0/13
description PC

switchport access vlan 3
switchport mode access
duplex full
speed 100
spanning-tree portfast
spanning-tree bpduguard enable
end

Switch and version:

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) C2970 Software (C2970-I6L2-M), Version 12.1(14)EA1a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Thanks, Pat

5 REPLIES 5
burleyman
Collaborator

The posting you have show the port is set to Duplex full and speed 100.

try this...

config t

int gi0/13

duplex auto

speed auto

If this does not work make sure the cable is CAT5e or better yet CAT6. if the cable is correct try swapping it with an know good cable.

Mike

Glenn Matthys
Beginner

Set both sides to auto (gigabit ethernet actually requires autonegotation and auto MDI/MDI-X).

It's most likely a cabling issue, gigabit ethernet uses all 4 pairs, so all conductors must all work, otherwise it will negotiate down to best possible speed. If you're making your own cables follow the scheme at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568#T568A_and_T568B_termination. I always use the B scheme.

Leo Laohoo
VIP Community Legend

It's most likely a cabling issue, gigabit ethernet uses all 4 pairs,

I disagree with this.  GigabitEthernet uses the THIRD pair.  The fourth pair is for PoE.

IOS (tm) C2970 Software (C2970-I6L2-M), Version 12.1(14)EA1a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

This is not going to help because this model does not support TDR.  SO we'll try a different tack.

I'd like to know if your patch cable or your horizontal cabling is faulty or has only the first two pairs terminated (old cabling standards).  The best way is, as Mike has posted, configure the switch side to be speed 100.  If the link goes up then chances are that's the cause:  Only the first two pairs are terminated.

No, 1000BASE-T definitely uses all 4 pairs for data transmission. You cannot achieve gigabit speed if not all 4 pairs are working. PoE works with phantom power like some microphones do, using some pairs for both data and power.

No, 1000BASE-T definitely uses all 4 pairs for data transmission. You cannot achieve gigabit speed if not all 4 pairs are working.

Whoops.  Got my facts all wrong.