Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't ping or telnet into the switch

RWalia418
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 switches. 2960 and 3750.

I have trunk on both ports of the switch.

there are couple of vlans and ports are assigned to those vlans. examples are management, voice and data.

int vlan 1 has ip

there is default gateway

the hosts are able to connect to the internet when connected to the switch.

but still i am missing something and i do not know what exactly it is.

your help be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Well, the switch is passing traffic. Do you have routing enabled on the 3750? If you have multiple vlans, you'll either need to enable "ip routing" and have an address attached to a l3 svi for your hosts to use as a gateway or you'll need a router to do the routing for you. Are you trying to ping the switch from a host in vlan 1?

HTH,
John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

I am trying to ping the switch from a different host which is connected to a different switch. it is on vlan 300.

{xx________}   <-- Router

|

|

/xxxxxxxxxxxxx/   <--3750 G Stack

|        |________________________________ [_xx_] PC (I can ping 3750 G Shop from here PC is on VLAN 300)

|
/xxxxxxxxxxxxx/   <--3750 G Shop

|

|
/xxxxxxxxxxxx/   <--2960s (This is the new switch that has been added)

So is your issue getting to the 2960? Do you have the 2960 configured for vlan 1 with the default gateway pointing to the 3750?

Yes I have configured the 2960 with an ip on vlan 1. the default gateway is the ip of the the stack 3750s? Is that the mistake?

Can you post the config of the 2960? Have you tried to connect a pc directly to the 2960 to see if you can get to it that way?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: