cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't ping standby ASA from one interface

Phill Hodges
Level 1
Level 1

So I have a weird issue since I reloaded my ASA 5540's (8.4(7)) this morning. They are in an Active/Standby failover pair and my standby ASA is no longer responding on one interface, but it works on the rest. More specifically, when I try to ping it from a machine on the server interface it fails, but I am able to ping it from my machine on the internal interface. The Primary ASA is responding to pings and SNMP on all interfaces. This is causing an issue because my monitoring server is on the server interface and neither ping nor SNMP are responding from it.

Digging a little deeper, I can ping the standby ASA from the sever switch (3750), but still cannot ping from any client connected to that switch. I have not made any changes to this switch so I'm really stumped here. All of this was working this morning until I did a reload on both ASAs.

Summary:

Internal Client/Switch- Primary ASA - Ping successful

Server Client/Switch- Primary ASA - Ping successful

Internal Client/Switch - Secondary ASA - Ping successful

Server Switch - Secondary ASA - Ping successful

Server Client - Secondary ASA - Ping Unsuccessful

2 Replies 2

Phill Hodges
Level 1
Level 1

I had regular failover, not stateful. Thanks to Cisco support for helping me out with that.

As long as the no failover active command is executed on the active device, it will not be able to connect to the standby device.

Need to change on Standby devices, execute failover active command, you can connect to Standby devices,

Need to reschedule time, do failover active switch,

FW1 / pri / act # failover exec standby failover active

And after doing ASA HA switch SOP, you cannot use the no failover active instruction.

FW1/pri/stby# show version

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 8.4(3)
Device Manager Version 7.4(3)

Compiled on Fri 06-Jan-12 10:24 by builders
System image file is "disk0:/asa843-k8.bin"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: