cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't ping vlan interfaces on new trunked port to switch

parakiteiz
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WS-C3650-48TS (SW02) connected to a 6509 (SW01).    They are configured as such on both sides:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 98-101,113-117,120-122

switchport mode trunk

When I do a sh int trunk Port Gi0/51 on SW 02 Vlans allowed on trunk shows fine with all the vlans  along with Vlans allowed and active in  management domain and Vlans in spanning tree forwarding state and not pruned. HOWEVER when I do the command on SW01 the port on the other side Gi1/0/15 shows up as none int both Vlans allowed and active in the management domain, and vlans in spanning tree forward state and not pruned.

I can't ping the VLan interfaces on either side. What should I be looking for?

6 Replies 6

helllo

dos the 3650 have d/g  and is ip routing diabled on this switch

is vtp correct and have the vlans been  propergated in the vtp d/b

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

agreed.  Sounds like vlans aren't on other switch.  'show vlan' on both switches shows all trunked vlans on both switches?

You are correct the problem was I did not create the vlans on the 6509 that were on the 3506 and that solved the trunking issue. We do not have Vtp turned on and other networks I have worked on had vtp so vlans had to be manually created. Still not use to having to do that.

ip routing is turned on the 3506.

mohammed what about my config shows I am using vlan 1?

Hello

Please mark and rate this post as resolved if applicable as to assist others in the future

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Well I am almost there. I can do a mac add | in 244 (on the 3650) and see the mac address of vlan 244 ... yet I can not ping the ip address belonging to those macs.

Same on the 6509 when I do a mac add | in 115 .. I see the mac addresses belonging to the to subnet/vlan 115 but cannot ping them.

What would be the solution to this?

mohammedsebbar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Something weird. From your config sample output I can see you're using vlan1 as your native vlan. But you're manually pruning it out of the carried vlans list.

Grtz

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card