cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't SSH/ping remote switch from PC but can SSH from other switches/routers

JPH85
Level 1
Level 1

So in my network I have a setup where all the switches are on a /26 management network, on a management vlan. I can ssh into both the directly connected switch, the core switch, and the networks router using their management addresses from the pc, but I cannot ssh or even ping the third switch connected to the core switch from the host pc. However I can SSH into the third switch from any of the other switches/router, so I am really confused as to what could be causing me to not be able to from the host, if I can from the switch that the host is connected to using the same address. 

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post the configruation of 3rd switch and let us know what is your PC IP address you try to SSH.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Krishan
Level 1
Level 1

First you can check the arp table on your PC. before you can ping or use ssh the mac address Needs to be learned from the third Switchs Management port. You can compare the arp table from your PC with the arp table of the Switches from where you can successful ping the third Switch. With that Information you can try to find the Segment where the arp process fails. Additional you can look to the mac-address tables in the envolved Switches and look for the mac address of third Switch and your PC.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Check the default gateway on the switch you cannot connect to from your PC (assuming your PC is in a different IP subnet). 

Jon

If it were just a problem for SSH I might wonder about the possibility that the switch has configured access-class to control remote access. But if it is also a problem to ping the switch from your PC then it is not an issue about access-class. If you can not ping it suggests that either there is a problem for requests from your PC getting to the switch or there is a problem with responses from the switch getting to your PC.

Can you verify that from your PC you are successful in accessing other devices in the management subnet? If so that suggests that it might be an issue with responses getting back to you. Can you post the output of show ip route from that switch? Can you post the output from that switch for an attempt to traceroute to the IP of your PC?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

Please execute the traceroute from your PC & distribution switch to the target switch (switch 3). this will help you to find out where your ICMP packets are dropped.

Check whether you have configured correctly default gateway in your PC or not.

Regards,

Khaleelur Rahman  

Networking2
Level 1
Level 1

For anyone who comes across this page in the future with the same problem, I was able to get around this by disabling ip routing

Just wanted to say forums DO work.

Doing what you recommended saved me more hours at work. I've already been troubleshooting the issue for 4+ hours and I've now got it fixed. Thanks man.

Thanks for sharing your experience and for endorsing the solution suggested in this discussion. Yes forums DO work. I hope to see you continue to be active in the forum.

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco