Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can we put a module on a 4507R switch running on a live production

Hi,

Good Day!

Can we put a module on a 4507R switch running on a live production?

The module will come from a 4506 switch.

Your answer will be great and helpful.

Thanks!

Daniel Jacob B. Gutierrez

CSCO12073582

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Line card?  Should be fine but I'd recommend you cover your s$$ and get a change control in.

Hi,

I'm sorry but what do you mean by "cover your s$$ and get a change control in" ?

I was worried that our Network will go down once we insert it in a live production or the switch will reboot,

What line card?

Hi,

It’s 48 port WS-X4248-RJ45 line card module.

p.mcgowan
Level 3
Level 3

what IOS are you running on your supervisor?

Hi,

Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500e-ENTSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(54)SG1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

the release notes for this version appear to show that thw module you are looking to install is supported in this release of IOS;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_5184.html

the line card is hot swappable and can be inserted into a live production switch and should cause no issues.

If it was me, I would schedule a maintenance outage and install the line card then. there should be no issues butstrange things can happen so it's best to have carried out the work during maintenance window.

good luck

please rate if helpful

Hi p.mcgowan,

I will consult this first to my Supervisor but obviously this will be a big help.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card