cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you send a ping out all ports on a switch ?

JohnW63
Level 1
Level 1

I have about 170 network racks that have UPSs in them, but most of the network snmp cards in the UPSes have gone to sleep or hibernation. I need to wake them all up to web in and configure them. It's a task long over due. I tried pinging the network broadcast IP ( xxx.xxx.xxx.255 ) on the core switch at each site, but that didn't show any new MAC addresses in the table or new IPs in the ARP table.  I don't want to visit all these locations and pull the card out for 2 minutes and reinstall it, if there is some way to make them talk again. 

7 Replies 7

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

If the upper layer of the UPS network stack isn't responding to ICMP then your next option would be to bounce each switchport with a shut/ no shut . This should cause the device on the other end to reinitialise its interface. The downside of this approach is that you you will need to go switch to switch issuing range commands to shut/ no shut these switchports. This is definitely something you should look to script!

cheers

Seb.

Seb,

I tired that. Bouncing the port had no effect. Even if you left it in the down state for 15 min. 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
We have those UPS with ethernet cards and if the cards don't "wake up" by the broadcast address then it is a hard reset (pull the cards out).
There is no other way.

Leo,

I was hoping there was something better than a broadcast ping, but I'm not surprised that there is not. 

John 

The manufacturer of the UPS sub-contracts the ethernet cards. And asking the manufacturer of those cards to publish a fix to the bug is very, very expensive that the UPS manufacturers are unwilling to spend.
As far as the UPS manufacturer is concerned, it is a "network issue".

Hello,

what brand/type/model are the UPSs ?

Tripp Lite

SmartUPS Online, I think is the model

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card