cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you stack 3560-X via C3KX-NM-10G modules?

keithsauer507
Level 5
Level 5

I have a 3560-X and a 3750g. 

Would like to upgrade to support 10g link to a new storage array.  Well the 3750g I looked is 24-port and no module to upgrade, so looks like that is going to be used elsewhere.   I have a 3560-X in the same rack that is basically used for DR purposes.  However that does have the module at the side.  If I purchase another 3560-X and scrap the 3750g (use it somewhere else), and put a C3KX-NM-10G in each, one SFP+ port on each to the storage array (EMC VNX) and the other SFP+ to the other switch, then port channel the other SFP ports to the core (for 4gbps trunk to core), would this be considered a "stack" and managed by one IP, or is it really just two switches managed by two IP's just with a simple 10gbps uplink to one another?

3 Replies 3

Stacking is only done with the stack-cables and connectors of the capable switches. What you will get are "only" two switches with a 10Gig connection. But no single management, no channels to both units etc.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Ah ok so I need to treat it like two switches then and make that 10g a trunk port and attach the vlans I want and basically manage them seperately...

Ok that makes sense.  There are no stacking ports on the 3560x.  I don't know why we have a 3560 and a 3750.  I think someone just ordered whatever was cheaper when the 3560 was added.  The 3560x is newer though.  It has the expantion module and more memory and more flash.  Because it's newer and expandable, that's why I debate getting rid of the first gen 3750 and adding in another 3560x.  Too much $$$ to rip and replace it all... unless I find a use case for them elsewhere on the premisis.

Thanks for your help.

BTW, does Cisco offer a buyback or credit to sell a switch back to assist purchasing a better one?  I'm sure I can ask my rep but just throwing this out there.

BTW, does Cisco offer a buyback or credit to sell a switch back to assist purchasing a better one?  I'm sure I can ask my rep but just throwing this out there.

Yes, it's called the Technology Migration Program (TMP).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card