Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot configure switch-stack to go from provisioned to ready

anointedballa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I had a stack of 4 switches. Everything worked well and was already configured. I mounted the switches on the rack then my 4th switch showed as being "provisioned". I looked up instructions from one of the threads and it said to do a "no switch 4 provisioned" command, and then reload my stack, and everything should come back up to normal.

I tried that and now my 4th switch is not showing up and my 3rd is now showing provisioned. Can someone point me in the right direction please!

This is what it looks like when I do a show switch command:

Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1 Active 9a8c.4843.3401 15 V02 Ready
2 Standby 9854.b238.e385 11 V02 Ready
3 Member 0000.0000.0000 0 Provisioned

I also checked my cables and they are good.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Can you disconnect the 4th switch from the stack completely and re-provision the 3rd switch and bring it back online?

Once that is completed, follow the instructions in this link to add the 4th switch as a member:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/71925-cat3750-create-switch-stks.html#anc16

HTH

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Can you disconnect the 4th switch from the stack completely and re-provision the 3rd switch and bring it back online?

Once that is completed, follow the instructions in this link to add the 4th switch as a member:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/71925-cat3750-create-switch-stks.html#anc16

HTH

Hey Reza,

I will give that a try. After doing this and re-provisioning the 3rd switch, will it go back to "ready"

Hi,

Yes, if you provision it again and reboot it, it should go back to ready again.

HTH

Reza,

I got it going! Thank you

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post-show run - like see provision information? what is the model of the switch and IOS information.

As you mentioned you have tested offline and after racking it was not working.

have you put the configuration of the device priority, all are same version of IOS please confirm.

Steps :

1. Remove the Power on Switch 3

2. connect console cable, Power on and post the boot process.

i am suspecting that switch is going to on ROMMON Mode?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

I know you said you’ve check the cabling but it does sound like it is your stack-wise cabling-can you post the following:

show switch stack-ports 

show switch stack-ring

Also note there is a certain way to cable the stack switches 

Example

sw1 port 2 -sw2 port 1

sw2 port 2 - sw3 port 1

sw3 port 2 sw4 port 1

sw4 port 2 sw1 port 1

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card