Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot login to 6500 switches

vd123_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have got a strange problem here. We have two 6500 switches and  I am unable to login to these switches anymore, but i was able to connect to them yesterday via Telnet. The strange part is that it happened for both switches at the same time.

But now when i try to login, it gives me a message "password required, but none set". I can login to them via console.

Is it because the 0 - 4 VTY connection are being used and there is no password set from VTY 5 to 15?

The config has not changed. Can someone let me know what to check.Please see the VTY config below. What could be issue here

SWITCH-1

line con 0

exec-timeout 0 0

password xxxxx

login

line vty 0 4

session-timeout 10

exec-timeout 0 0

password xxxxx

login

transport input lat pad udptn telnet rlogin ssh

line vty 5 15

session-timeout 10

exec-timeout 0 0

login

SWITCH-2

line vty 0 4

session-timeout 10

exec-timeout 0 0

login

line vty 5 15

session-timeout 10

exec-timeout 0 0

login

Really appreciate your help.

Regards,

Jay

4 Replies 4

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jay,

This error would normally indicates that the line vty password has not been set. 

You haven't set the vty password on all lines, only on the first 5. Add the password to lines vty 5 15 as well.

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

Hi Aru,

Nothing has changed no one loggned to these swithces so i should get terminal to these switches via VTY line 0 - 4.

Also i was able to onnect to them yesterday. so not sure what changed. i guessing someone has opened concurrent four windows and forgot to close them. but i could not see any connections via show connections command.

Regards,

Jay

Hi Jay,

You mean there was no password configured on line vty 5 15 on switch 1? for Switch 2, there is no password set still. So, could you login into the switch through console and set the password, then share the result.

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

Hi Aru,

I have found that someone else was logged in into the switches. I have checked the VTY session via

show users and show line command then did a clear vty [session no.] to end those sessions

I have also added the timeout value to 10 minutes.

Thanks for your help

Regards,

Jay

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card