Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot pass traffic between 2 switches

Hello Experts,

I am facing a problem we have 2  switches, they are connected by SFP module. we can ping from one end to another end  through PC.But my client have a software (type of Monitoring) on a PC its connected on SW1 and the SW2 have some machines like Generator , Boiler etc.

Monitoring Pc can't access the traffic of these machines. But when we connected these pc and machines through TP-link switch/Hub, it worked. Any solution?

Regards,

Kazim

13 Replies 13

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Could you post the two switch configs please.

Indicate what ports the generator, etc, are plugged into and what machine the monitoring machine is plugged into.

There is a strong likelihood that if you can ping the devices at the remote end it is not a network issue.

thanks Philip, its SF300 managed swithes and no have configuration there, brand new, just change the default IP.

But i think i have to mention, The PC have 100Mfull duplex and the other machines connected with switch 10Mhalf dublex. but i try to make half duplex of PC as well but no work.

these heavy machines are like big Generator, boiler etc. the monitoring machine is just PC running one software for monitoring these heavy machinery.

I'm not familiar with that model of switch sorry.

Try and leave everything set to auto/auto so the speed and duplex can be auto-detected.  Are the interfaces that everything is plugged into (machines, fibre, etc) all showing link lights?

the lights are okk and status show ports are UP.

And to re-confirm, the monitoring machine can ping these end devices ok?

they don't have capability to ping.

In your original question you said:

we can ping from one end to another end  through PC

Now you have said:

they don't have capability to ping

I don't understand the test you have done.

Mean if we put one pc on one end and another on other end, they ping.

but pc cannot ping with other end devices, like Generator and boiler.

I'll throw some suggestions on your way for you to try out.

When you have the so called controller connected up to your switch see if the MAC address is appearing on the switch port.If not check your settings specifically speed of the port and duplex.

If the Monitoring PC and the controller are in two different vlans by any chance put them into one as I know some of the legacy BAS controllers operate on just Layer2 communication

Here is SF300 Emulator if someoneelse could helpout

***Please rate all the useful posts***
-Prabath

On the boilers and other equipment, do you have the gateway set?  The PC's would likely be getting a full configuration from DHCP; but my guess is the industrial equipment is hard-set.  A misconfigured network mask or gateway is probably preventing connectivity outside the local subnet.

No have DHCP in the network and its L2  connetivity only, everthing have same subnet.

Any suggestion?

How to check MAC adress on small business switches and one thing is sure, duplex is different industrial equipment and pc. But i change the computer duplex and speed 10MB half because other equipment have 10MB HALF duplex. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card