Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot ping PC to Server

Kaushik Ray
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am having a strange problem and I have attached the drawing of the setup.

The problem is that there is a new server that has been put in and it needs to talk to a PC.

Both HAVE to be in different networks and therein lies the problem.

Also the server does not have the option to give a DG to be put in. Hence I cannot reach the server from the PC when they are on different network.

Can you advise how this can be overcome?

Any hints will be much appreciate.

Many thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

Hi

Do you explain exactly why you can't define DG on your server?

You have not access to it or you are not authorized or something else?

Houtan

Hi Houtan

I have access to the server but there is no section for a DG. it only gives the option for IP address, subnet mask and port allowed. strange way to setup!

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Without a default gateway, the server won't know how to resolve routes that are not on its own network. When the PC tries to communicate with the server, the PC will send its source address, but the return traffic will be lost. According to your diagram, you're using a router to route between vlans? If so, you could use destination nat possibly to solve the problem (I have not tested this, but I could lab it up). When the PC goes to 192.168.1.x server, it can nat as a 192.168.1.x address. That would put the server in the same subnet, and you should be able to get the return traffic. If you only need this one PC to talk to the server, you could configure static nat for that 1 pc for the 192.168.1.x address that you want, and the server would also be able to initiate connections unless you didn't need that.

*Edit*

NAT works fine in this situation if you're able to do that. I labbed it up and was able to get the return traffic without setting a default gateway on the "server" host.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Thanks John for your thoughts. so it should be a matter of NATting 192.168.1.2 to an IP address in the 172.28.1.0/29 range right?

and the NAT inside outside commands should be in the two sub-interfaces facing the router?

Thanks

Yes. You'll nat out as an address in the 192.168.1.x range. Your config would look something like:

int g0/0.5

ip address 172.28.1.1

ip nat in

int g0/0.130

ip address 192.168.1.1

ip nat out

ip nat inside source list 100 interface f0/0 overload

access-list 100 permit ip host 172.28.1.2 host 192.168.1.2

Whenever the 172.28.1.2 host goes to that server, it will nat out as 192.168.1.1. The return traffic will be returned to the router because the server sees the initiated traffic from something on its own subnet.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Anas Hijjawi
Level 1
Level 1

what is the running OS on your server

Thanks, Anas *--* Please rate the useful post,its free ;) *--*
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card